ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

What is..."Gameplay?"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Videogames General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goninja
Expert Ninja
Expert Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: What is..."Gameplay?" Reply with quote

You know, I'm starting to agree with that Ico Annotation guy.

It began in another thread when someone said that the only thing important to him in choosing a good game was the gameplay. I have never had anyone create a concrete definition of "gameplay" before, so I'll give it a shot myself. For example, I'll use a game I suspect we've all played, Ninja Gaiden (Xbox).

First off, gameplay must be everything that is necessary to the "play" of the "game," right? So obviously, all the extra features (trailers, movie theater, mini games) are not gameplay.

What else is not needed to play the game? Music. You can play a game without sound. Therefore, script and voice acting aren't important either. Cutscenes aren't. Plot isn't really. The game itself can be played without these things.

Graphics are. You can't play a game you can't see, so graphics are part of gameplay. And, of course, things inside the game are gameplay; in the case of Ninja Gaiden that includes enemies (and their AI), weapons, backgrounds, etc.

Another important gameplay feature is controls (grammar?). What each button combonation does is important, what's it's called is and isn't. It is important because it helps you identify one move from another, but other than that, you can just use the combos themselves for that (I don't think, "Crimson Slash," I think "XXX"). So combo names aren't really gameplay.

So, if I had to choose a game to be my favorite based soley on "gameplay," as described above, I would have to say...Street Fighter 2. I can't really choose Super Mario Brothers because the music was important to me.

Am I right in my thinking? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

Gamertag: AreErKul
NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost right.
Ninja Of Chaos
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

Location: In your imagination......yup, you are having visions of me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound is a huge part of gameplay. It makes games much more imersive and playable.
JuaNma
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually graphics and sound is related to gameplay,not exactly the same,it makes it better,but you still dont play with the "graphics" or "sounds" you play with the gameplay with graphics and sound atached.
Inverted.TwiZtah
Dragon Ninja
Dragon Ninja

Gamertag: Trauma| SWE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i think sound is one huge part of the game, think ninja gaiden withot sound= not very fun.
Runaway Ninja
Runaway Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of gameplay, I'd say sound is more important than graphics. "Gameplay" is more of an open-ended, opinionated term. You can't really 'define' it like that.

"I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death."
Ryu_Hayabusa
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

NG - Emblem (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a game plays good (tight and responsive controls), then I could care less about graphics. Sound is a good factor though. But to me I really have to 'feel' the game when I play it: instant reaction to my every command. If that sucks, then the gameplay sucks.
Dragon Ninja
Dragon Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... well, this is just my take on it, but gameplay is how well the game handles, and more importantly, how fun it is. I think that when someone says that a game has great gameplay, they really mean that it is a joy to play. It isn't just hoiw good the controls are/ how easy the character is to control, it's also just how much fun it is to run around and you know, play the game.

Ookami wrote:
Congratulations! You failed to make sense!
sabotage
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: Critical sideFX
NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, gameplay is measured by the intricacies of the game. Good gameplay is something that offers something new, deep, and rewarding. It is is also extremely fun at the same time. Good gameplay should also be balanced and fair. If the game has good gameplay there is no such thing as a 'cheap' death or loss. Gameplay has nothing to do with graphics or sound. Gameplay is just how it sounds, it's how the game plays. Controls are another factor in gameplay, you can have the most innovative ideas in a game but if the controls for the game suck the game will not play good.
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ookami wrote:
Um... well, this is just my take on it, but gameplay is how well the game handles, and more importantly, how fun it is. I think that when someone says that a game has great gameplay, they really mean that it is a joy to play. It isn't just hoiw good the controls are/ how easy the character is to control, it's also just how much fun it is to run around and you know, play the game.

Well, my point is, that if I cannot control my character good enough, I am not enjoying the game. No sense in keep playing if you input the a command a bazillion times and it doesn't respond and you die/lose/whatever.
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like NGB on MNM, you mean?

GD f***ing Ogres.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inverted.TwiZtah
Dragon Ninja
Dragon Ninja

Gamertag: Trauma| SWE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah there is a point where you get vary happy and such. that some guys call the happy time. to make a good game you must have something hard to accomplish and when you make it you will be very glad, that is one thing that makes a game a good game. if its hard but not too hard.
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ookami wrote:

thats the best definition here...yeah exactly what he said.

i dont think that there is an exact definition of gameplay
Ryu_Hayabusa
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephiroth wrote:
Ookami wrote:

thats the best definition here...yeah exactly what he said.

i dont think that there is an exact definition of gameplay

It is all a matter of personal opinion. Not much else to add.
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

Location: In your imagination......yup, you are having visions of me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabotage wrote:
To me, gameplay is measured by the intricacies of the game. Good gameplay is something that offers something new, deep, and rewarding. It is is also extremely fun at the same time. Good gameplay should also be balanced and fair. If the game has good gameplay there is no such thing as a 'cheap' death or loss. Gameplay has nothing to do with graphics or sound. Gameplay is just how it sounds, it's how the game plays. Controls are another factor in gameplay, you can have the most innovative ideas in a game but if the controls for the game suck the game will not play good.

1. Sound adds immersion which changes the way you feel when playing the game. Meaning that sound is directly affecting you playing the game.

2. Just like sound graphics are extremly important to gameplay. They add precision, flow, and make he game just more fun. I would hate NG(B) with bad graphics/frame rate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Videogames General Board All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: