ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

My impressions of Ninja Gaiden 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sath
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: PSN: ISathI
NGS - Sigma (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the fact that you cant charge a 360 move to a alternate UT nor a regular charge to UT, its pathethic, and really annoying!
Keylay
Legendary Ninja
Legendary Ninja

Gamertag: Keylay
NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1) NGDS - The Eye of the Dragon (Amount: 1) NGS - Sigma (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanderfalke wrote:
Shuhan wrote:
Kind of disappointed that the full circle Y attack doesn't launch like it use to. But it seems like you can at least chain it with other moves anyway, so I guess it's ok. Thanks for the impressions, can't wait to get the game.

Well, if you look at MasterRyuKenden´s videos, it seems that you are still able to launch enemies after the 360 move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KFbIBiEz2A&feature=g-all-u&context=G20380dbFAAAAAAAAAAA

I guess you can. But you can only do it after landing from a jump and not from standing on the ground. Good to know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wanderfalke
Expert Ninja
Expert Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keylay wrote:
Wanderfalke wrote:
Shuhan wrote:
Kind of disappointed that the full circle Y attack doesn't launch like it use to. But it seems like you can at least chain it with other moves anyway, so I guess it's ok. Thanks for the impressions, can't wait to get the game.

Well, if you look at MasterRyuKenden´s videos, it seems that you are still able to launch enemies after the 360 move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KFbIBiEz2A&feature=g-all-u&context=G20380dbFAAAAAAAAAAA

I guess you can. But you can only do it after landing from a jump and not from standing on the ground. Good to know.

What... was there just one NG fan in der whole world, who didn´t like this move??? I can´t get my head around a change like this. WTF. I meam seriously, only after landing from a jump Evil
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: PSN: ISathI
NGS - Sigma (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the game yesterday (EU on 360) and played for many hours so I thought I post my impressions as well.
Sorry for the long post!

First I started playing Story Mode, as usual I knew what to expect, alot of tutorial gameplay in London and nothing else.
When I killed my first enemy from Falcon Dive it felt good, they definitely nailed the feedback on it wit the sound and blood.

Controls was weird to me, maybe I didnt play NG for many many months, but it didnt feel as it should so it took a few minutes to get into.
Controls are good when you play as Ryu but in Ninja Trials, for some reason I feel the ninja there isnt as responsive as playing as Ryu, probably just me.

The sword combat has been tweaked alot and considering I used 99% DS in all NG game games, I thought I would be right at home, but that wasent the case. Many new and tweaked inputs, and I actually liked that. Made me start over to master the new moves so thats a plus.

SOB happens randomly, but most of the time, you can trigger it when you see the enemy has blood on their clothes by pressing Y, I wish you could manually trigger it.
I love pulling off SOB in row from one enemy to the next, at one point I tried my hardest to direct Ryu's attacks to a new enemy quickly because if you do a SOB on one enemy, if the next enemy is hit like 1s or less after it, its another SOB, so you can chain attack SOBs which is awesome.
Also, the SOB button promts is different as I expect. If it tells you to press Y but you press X instead you will not fail the SOB, it just you have to rapidly press X to force the sword go through, but if you press Y you do the SOB instantly.
I for one mostly press the wrong button on purpose to pull off those visceral and brutal sword slashes, just love it!
One thing that is mind boggling is why the old NG2 pink enemies cant be SOB'ed!?
Its really annoying that you cant do that on those enemies but yet you can do it on ninjas.

Enemies spam grab!
Most enemies anyways. I hate how Hayashi thinks spamming grabs is hard AI when its not.

Story, well we all know how dumb NG stories are, this is the worst one.

I didnt play much of the Story mode (seen walkthrough) but after Day 2, you unlock Shadows of the World, for Ninja Trials and Multiplayer.
I jumped straight to Ninja Trials (my main reasons to NG games mostly).

In Ninja Trials, you can play solo so I was excited for that.
It is like NGS2, each difficulty has its own set of missions.
When you start, the sword and your character will be level 1. So the more you kill, do various in-game objectives when it tells you, you gain bonus XP.
The more you level up and do bonus XP, you start unlocking various stuff such as higher level for the sword which means more damage and more moves from Single Player, more damage from the bow and arrow, shurikens, new colors for your outfit, new kanji, new armor and headgear.

I somewhat like it because it makes you strive for something when playing Ninja Trials, just unlocking stuff, and its obvious Hayashi thought of online shooters with this idea.
Yesterday I had alot of fun in Ninja Trials as I expected from the videos.
Some missions on Acolyte is awesome, but on Mentor there is a mission you will fight Genshin as a boss, or Fiend Ryu or Regent of the Mask. Fiend Ryu and Genshin doesnt put up much of a fight (Mentor) and yes you can still Izuna Drop Genshin.
I HATE Regent of the Mask, he is constantly trying to grab you, no surprise there.

Music, well, most of it is bad, doesnt feel very Ninja Gaiden.
A few tracks is awesome, my main one is Main Theme during menu, I get goosebumps, especially with headphone quality Very Happy
And other tracks like the one from Consequence trailer or Debut Trailer. Anyways I hope I can get the OST soon.
But considering most of the tracks are meh, I have gathered the best NG tracks from previous titles and I just use custom music on 360!

Overal, the game as a action game is SOLID IMO, as a Ninja Gaiden game, it should have been much more!
Now free DLC weapons are coming so thats good (I only like Talon's but I want Kitetsu, Flail and dual swords), but issue is, its recycled weapons but tweaked and copy-and-paste DLC fiends and levels, nothing is brand NEW and thats something I always hated with Hayashi, he constantly copies old stuff to new stuff with minor adding new stuff that isnt even that great.
Many fans hate it so I hope its a wake up call for Hayashi to learn from his mistakes, you have to fail atleast once to succeed next time.

I hate giving final scores like most reviews because I find it more judging than the actual impressions, so I wont give it a number, I dont believe in that and I think people should stop doing so as well.

Anyways, its a shame how it turned out overal, but I am still having fun with the game for what it has.
I do wonder what the level cap is on that mode and the sword, it feels like I have already unlocked all the sword moves. I am on level 19 on character and probaby 10 or so on sword.

Last edited by Sath on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
vspectra
Greater Ninja
Greater Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a surprising lack of impressions on here. Seems like not many people got the game.

So far the move list is pretty bad. You're basically doing the same thing with each enemy wave. Besides a few of moves that differentiate themselves from others, it doesn't seem like many of the moves are worth anything.

SOBs make the game much more of a button masher than it already is.

And the screen tearing and framerate is pretty terrible. There's even input lag during the framerate drops and Ryu feels unresponsive.

Enemies have a dash grab move and they cover a long distance in addition to being quick. The attack itself isn't much of a problem, except they do it while you're in mid-combo at which point Ryu is stuck in that animation frame and you can't evade, so the enemies are opened to grab you while Ryu is finishing a combo string. That, and enemies off-screen grab you too so there's no telling of when to evade.

Only 1 ninpo, it's not even cool to look at anymore after the using it for the 10th time.

The offensive slide is pretty useless. It doesn't lock onto the enemy like your attacks do, so most of the time Ryu just slides past the enemy.
Female Tengu
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

Gamertag: GalaxySpider PSN: GalaxySpider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enemies always grab you when Ryu is unsafe. It's not new in the series. NG2s enemies loved to do that after Ryus Izuna Throw and during recovery frames from strong attacks. It's your punishment xD

NG black also had dash grabing enemies. The white little and hellish fast fiends.
Greater Ninja
Greater Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They never did it while I was in the middle of a combo in previous games, unless it was the legless guys crawling to suicide bomb you. My grab experiences occurred after a combo string was completed, at which point if you were quick enough you can avoid them. They did throw explosive shurikens while surrounding you.

NG1 and 2 enemies actually never approached you right after the Izuna throw. It was never a problem.
CyberEvil
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: XBL: CyberEvil PSN: CyberEvil-PSN
NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1) NGDS - The Eye of the Dragon (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of rage right about now. Finished Hard yesterday. Contemplating not even bothering with MN. So sad.
Greater Ninja
Greater Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberEvil wrote:
I have a lot of rage right about now. Finished Hard yesterday. Contemplating not even bothering with MN. So sad.

I was wondering where you were. I'd like to read your impressions man. =p
CyberEvil
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: XBL: CyberEvil PSN: CyberEvil-PSN
NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1) NGDS - The Eye of the Dragon (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll likely do a write up soon. IE9 isn't a fan of this site so I mostly sign in from my phone or tablet.
Greater Ninja
Greater Ninja

Gamertag: PSN: Verdugo04

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, playing the game from start to finish puts things into perspective. This is a 6/10 game that after a few hours DOES feel woefully repetitive and generic. Combining the flaws of the NGII boss fights with a touch of NG, and the rest is streamlined but never feels solid. They tried to mimic GOW but fell short, though they managed to mimic that series' unresponsive controls. At least that series was never about precise controls.

Technically, the game is sound to a certain degree (though the frame rate drops are very apparent). The art style isn't and it's sharply contrasted by the old NGII levels in the missions where the revised engine's capabilities shines.

I'll let others to go through it with a fine tooth comb, but I can say with certainly that this is NG's "DMC2".

I'm not keeping my copy to simply play some free DLC with elements of the past games, when those games are at my dispense.
Shuhan
Common Ninja
Common Ninja

Gamertag: ShuhanX PSN: ShuhanX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the game on release day, so I figured that I'd leave my impressions on it.

Hard Mode....sigh....honestly, the only complaint I have for this difficulty is the incomprehensible amounts of grab spamming. It gives the impression that the AI is programmed to attempt to grab you the second you initiate any combo, whether the combo is directly used on them, or you start the combo on another opponent but are still within the range of their grab. Now normally, I would have no trouble with this. Grab spam gave me no problems in Sigma 2. The problem here is that in this game it appears that when you start a combo, if you want to cut the combo short, there is a preposterous amount of lag time between when you use any given attack to when you try to dodge/slide away. They don't afford you the ability to accurately stop any combo you start prematurely, so-as-to effectively evade any grabs or attacks. The other problem is the amount of damage the grabs take. I feel that if they are going to have the enemies spam grabs to holy hell lol, then they should at the very least, minimize the damage. You are forced to limit yourself to a select amount of specific moves (there are certain combos you can cancel with, or that move Ryu around so much that the opponent has difficulty grabbing them). What's odd is that even on Master Ninja difficulty for all the previous versions of NG (NG, NGB, NGS, NG2, NGS2), I never had any difficulties pulling off the combos that I wanted, and (with some good timing) I was able to free-flow. With NG3, when you try to free-flow you are grab spammed from multiple angles. Don't even get me started on Regent of the Mask lol. At some point I lost my patience with him, and began to spam my own moves. What I essentially did, was I kept a minimal distance and held down the triangle button, and released it every time he got close. More often than not, if you time it right, it will interrupt his attack and he will stumble. Also, if he tries to grab you, since you are not initiating a combo, it is fairly easy to evade. Not only this, but that attack grants you semi-invincibility frames. You still receive damage, however you cannot be grabbed. An annoying strategy, but ultimately effective. Aside from the grab spamming, I have no other complaints about the story mode on Hard difficulty. I'm not even considering Master Ninja Mode right now, until I acquire the Falcon's Talon and Eclipse Scythe.

Where combos and moveset are concerned, I must say that I rather liked the Katana's moves. He feels like he wields the sword alittle swifter than he used to, which is always a plus. I like the multiple variations of how you can pull off an Izuna drop. Also, the length of the combos are very extensive. There are a multitude of standard combos that string into more advanced combos, then string into another combo, if you know how to work the sword good enough lol. I never seem to have any trouble with connecting with the SoB that is initiated by the slide. Normally, the only time that it does not connect, is either when you time it incorrectly or there is an opponent between yourself and the other opponent you just launched. The Obliteration Techniques and the SoB's are semi-random. The SoB's can be manually triggered most of the time when the opponent is bloody and you hit them with a strong attack (triangle button), however even then it will sometimes not connect. It can become rather annoying at times, because there will be instances where you are surrounded and need to pull off a string of SoB's, but for whatever reason it won't trigger. There have been times where I was surrounded by nearly a dozen bloody enemies, and I would only use combos with the strong attack, yet not a single SoB would be triggered. I'm forced to continue slashing them up, until a Obliteration Technique triggers; finishing them off. Oddly enough, I found that this is more frequent in Normal difficulty than it is in the harder difficulties.

Ironically, with the absence of dismemberment and the focus on SoB's, the game feels more brutal for some reason which is a plus, obviously.

Personally, I would prefer that the SoB be totally manual. You get the enemy bloody, then hit the strong attack (triangle), or use a combo with a strong attack in it, then BAM...SoB lol.

I absolutely loooooove the boss battles...well....most of them lol. Regent of the Mask would probably be the only exception for the aforementioned reasons. The boss battles are very dynamic, especially with the QTE sequences. Especially the giant Helicopter boss battle at the end of Day 2. I adore how they have you move from battlefield to battlefield while fighting. Doing Falcon Dives while dodging missiles and rockets is one of my favorite things, not only in the bass battle, but in the game in general. I also liked the idea of that Dinosaur chasing you through the lab, tricking him into biting a missile, then having to detonate the missile with an arrow. The battle against Canna (The Goddess) was very well done as well. Using your ninpo to transform into a dragon and directly tackle her with it, then transforming back to normal to stab her forehead.....kinda jizzed my pants when I saw that lmao. I was also impressed with the fact that Ryu was able to directly parry a gigantic Dragon Sword the size of a building. The QTE's in this game really showcased Ryu's power and skill more-so than the previous installments. What's more awesome than Falcon Diving between two Jets? lol.

I'm hoping we get a FREE DLC for Ryu's maskless costume, but I doubt it. The fiend costume you see during the clone battle should be a DLC costume as well.

Speaking of DLC.....wtf.....why are they releasing free DLC a month after the game's release, that was clearly made before the game came out. I fail to understand why they couldn't just put the claws and scythe in the game as unlockables. Hell, even if they wanted to make the game initially about the sword, all they had to do was force you to play through the game the first time with the sword and then unlock other weapons. Also, I don't see the point in making rehashed things from previous games available as payable DLC. I already own literally every other previous version of NG, why the hell would I pay for crap that I already have? lol. Maybe when they actually introduce something NEW as DLC, then I'll consider it. As for now, the only DLC I will get is the the free stuff lol. I feel that literally all of the content they have revealed as DLC should have certainly been in the game. I think this would have made the game much more enjoyable and would have given it much more re-playability.

Clan Battles are surprisingly fun. Very fun, actually. I love falcon diving and killing an unsuspecting opponent. The free-for-all thing was pretty cool, I usually own on those lol. Pulling off a Ghost Kill is veeerrry satisfying, it's one of my favorite parts about Multiplayer. Despite how fun it is, there are a few issues I have with it. Matchmaking, most notably. I'll make a search for worldwide and at best find like 5 available games.....lol. Sigma 2 had a very similar issue, I was usually forced to only request games with people on my friend's list. Another problem I have is the insane lag when you are fighting with someone. It's difficult to connect with you combos, even if they are caught in one of you combos and are defenseless. It's still manageable, but can be inconvenient from time to time. I don't usually like using Izuna Drops in Clan battles, not only because it's too easy of a kill (I like to work for my kills), but because it often does not connect. The enemy will be launched into the air and on the last strike (right before the "drop" part lol) then enemy will just fall to the ground like a anvil lol. Only other issues I have with it is the lack of customization and the lack of stages. 3 stages TN.....really? lol.

Ninja Trials are awesome. They're essentially the same as the Missions in Sigma 2, which is a good thing. I usually do those solo, and I've only played with another person perhaps 3 times. 2 players senselessly slashing from every which way is awesome lol. I just wish there was a collab-ninpo like there was in NGS2.

I'm alittle disappointed that the BSC ninja essentially made a cameo appearance for only the duration of one chapter. I feel like they could have made the BSC and Obaba have more involvement with the story. They gave the impression of merely being a minor inconvenience this time around, which is unfortunate. Despite that, the boss battle against Obaba was splendid. Fighting side-by-side with Momiji was a very fun experience, and I liked the parts where they would compliment one another while fighting. I don't know why, but the idea of the characters verbally communicating with eachother while fighting is a very cool thing. After observing Momiji, it seems as though they literally copy/pasted her from Sigma 2. I couldn't see one single difference in her moves, even her ninpo was exactly the same in every way. I am, however, happy that they showcased her skill in Ninja Magic/Ninpo more-so than in Sigma 2. She has shown skill in casually using ninpo to dispatch a dozen ninjas, making powerful barriers, and healing Ryu and keeping his curse in check. I'm surprised that Hayashi did not include a Story-mode coop, as it is evidently doable after the Momiji+Ryu segment. Oh well, maybe for the next game.

Surprisingly, I like the fact that Ryu is showing his emotional side. They did a very good job with humanizing him, yet not making him seem like a wimp lol.

Overall, this is a very solid game. I only wish that the content they are releasing as DLC, would have originally been on the disc as unlockables. Honestly, after getting through the nightmare Hard difficulty, I want a better reward than "You have unlocked Master Ninja Mode" and a trophy lmao. Good game though.
Hicho9
Lesser Ninja
Lesser Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post Shuhan. I agree with alot of your thoughts/observations!
Female Tengu
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

Gamertag: GalaxySpider PSN: GalaxySpider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mission and multiplayer are indeed very fun.

My only problem with versus multiplayer are balancing issues. Ninpo shouldn't recharge so fast. And also, if someone is in ghost mode and you "caught" him, you should be able to do an instant launch + izuna. Ghost mode gives you instant kills but no really disadvantage at all.
Lesser Ninja
Lesser Ninja

Gamertag: irfan82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not posted on here for a while usually like to lurk in the shadows but WTF.... This game has A LOT of issues... My main issue being the unresponsive controls... Many times my inputs are not coming out esp when i shadow jump into a flying swallow ... MANY times it does not come out and I think its because of the auto target when multiple enemies are around... The story is so weak sorry but I like Hayabusa as a cold few words ninja ... Unmasked they made his character ugly his face just looks weird... NG was never known for the story line which I am fine with but keep the formula down (Weapons,ninpo,violence,difficulty) And one of my biggest issues is not playing as Ryu in the Ninja Trials... WTF!?!?! Who ever made this decision should be SHOT IN THE HEAD... Sorry guys just my two cents.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: