ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

*** New NG 3 Joystiq preview - 06/20/11 ***

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoolBlackKnight
Greater Ninja
Greater Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: *** New NG 3 Joystiq preview - 06/20/11 *** Reply with quote

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/20/ninja-gaiden-3-preview/

When I asked Ninja Gaiden 3 lead Fumihiko Yasuda how the protagonist was able to glide through the air with nothing more than a black, skin-tight suit, I committed the sin of dragging logic into a discussion that was utterly incompatible with it. Ryu Hayabusa can fly because he's a ninja, and that's an axiom you'll just have to accept.

The legitimate mystery is why an army of hapless (and soon-to-be-headless) soldiers would stomp all the way through the brutally extracted entrails of their comrades, and still insist on fighting an enraged man who literally just flew in. The gushing violence signals a welcome change from Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2's purple energy nonsense and comes across as silly and satisfying, rather than OH GROSS. Hayabusa's sword never seems to clip through enemy bodies so much as it slides and scrapes through them.

---

If the E3 2011 demo is any indication, Ninja Gaiden 3 is tightening up the screws in its demanding combat system while experimenting with some new, barely connected mechanisms on the side. It's still a game of flitting between defense and assault, of knowing when to go all in and when to get out before enemies take advantage of your focused attention, but Ninja Gaiden 3 makes evasion even more useful. Ryu's dash now inflicts slight damage if it connects with an enemy, allowing you to barge through a weak link when you're surrounded and immediately launch into a combo or juggle (even culminating in what remains the best video game maneuver ever, the Izuna Drop).

---

With no other weapons or magic available at this stage of the game's development (pegged at 40 percent done), Ninja Gaiden 3's combat feels familiar and purely devoted to the franchise's most versatile and reliable weapon, the Dragon Sword. There's no trace of essence absorption either -- instead of collecting orbs from fallen foes, Ryu's bloodied right arm becomes enveloped in a swirl of red once you complete a sequence of executions, untouched. Most importantly, you'll then need to find a break in the action to charge up the devastating special attack. Gambling on that second of vulnerability and finding a deadly rhythm is still at the heart of Ninja Gaiden's electrifying combat.

Ryu's lethal limb-lopping finishers carry over from the previous game, but now they're inelegantly called for with a big button prompt across the screen. Is this part of Ninja Gaiden 3's bid to engage a wider audience, one that needs to be constantly reminded about the kill button? Equally clumsy are the new concepts explored outside of combat, encountered while Ryu makes his way through the dour streets of London in search of a terrorist group.

---

Ironically, one of the most overt and jarring additions is the element of stealth. While walking across a balcony, you have the opportunity to kill an inattentive guard from behind. There's no real agency before the animation kicks in -- you simply walk in a straight line and press a button when you get to the sap who's been conveniently positioned by the spiteful designer-god. The stealth kill is remarkable only because it's the quietest, most ninja-like thing Hayabusa has ever done in his career, which has seen him destroy tanks and helicopters singlehandedly.

Actually, hold on, that's not the most ninja-like thing he does. He flies off the balcony right afterward in a canned animation that concludes with another button prompt.

Ryu also spends some of his time climbing walls in London. Now, more interesting traversal sounds like a good fit for Ninja Gaiden, but Team Ninja doesn't really place the emphasis on its hero's agility. Only specific walls allow themselves to be pierced by Ryu's kunai, and these can be climbed by rhythmically alternating between the left and right triggers. If there's a soldier waiting for you at the top, you tap out a single shuriken and that's it. There's nothing engaging or dynamic about the process.

---

In its current stage, Ninja Gaiden 3 feels like a lopsided entry in the series. Team Ninja seems to be treating the combat with distant reverence -- too afraid to touch, let alone expand it -- while it experiments with shallow, quarantined mechanisms elsewhere. The framerate needs a lot of attention before the game launches in 2012 (neither the Xbox 360 nor PlayStation 3 version came anywhere near 60 frames per second), but at least I can say that the fighting feels right. And I can only speculate how it will translate to four-on-four multiplayer, which Yasuda said would be revealed later.

All that should be enough for now, but it's hard to dissipate a vague sense of disappointment. It's like you can feel Tomonobu Itagaki sitting somewhere, arms folded, with a pair of sunglasses obscuring the look of a disappointed, departed parent.

---

...I too feel the disturbance in the Force, with this future NG IP.

Female Tengu
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

Gamertag: GalaxySpider PSN: GalaxySpider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not to mention that Itagaki ruined Dead or Alive (with the release of Dead or Alive 4).

Hm, we have a thread for interviews made by "Wanderfalke". Wink

As long as NG not changes into a Devil May Cry gameplay wise, they can do what they want. My thoughts about the NG ip.

And btw, If Itagaki is a dissapointent parent, I'm a dissapointed child xD. These reviewers dont know what they are talking about. I love it. Funny everytime.

Last edited by Female Tengu on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
CoolBlackKnight
Greater Ninja
Greater Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I feel you. You don't like Itagaki's NG vision... Laughing

Nothing wrong with that.

I view Hayashi's NG vision(what he has done so far with NG, and what he's about to do with the release with 3) in that same light of contempt. No, itagaki made mistakes, not saying he was perfect. But I need at least ONE IP from Hayashi that doesn't overall disappoint me...

He's 0-2 for me personally when leading(I don't count the DS).

And yes, I'm willing to reserve judgment until I actually play it... But I suspect for me(and many others), a disappointment is coming our way.

But yeah... Different strokes for Different folks - right gaming pal?

slickcat
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, one things for sure,this new NG will divide us fans.

I understand female tengu is in agreement with most of what hayashi does tto the series. fine. At this point I wont make a list of complaints I have until the final version to be fair,but I can say this to me the game took alot of steps backwards.No one that is a fan of this series is that stupid not to know that the SoB mechanic was to take NG series to a cinematic level and affter reading cybers analysis ,mine doesnt fall short either.

From my point of view if we have no control over SoB by the release,this game would have fallen beyond repair for some fans. I m happy that most fans can accept this new game in a new light,but with all this scripted activities ,I m sorry this fails as a NG game. So I take the same stance with CBK, n hope the final version gets rid of so many BS in it.

This series is viewed by us NG fans very differently since I m having difficulties accepting the title, and I m also aware that many ppl have different expectations

Last edited by slickcat on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Female Tengu
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Wink

Well, "mistake". I'm not 100% satisfied with Hayashi's vision either (especially when it comes to DOADs gameplay). But at least he is trying...somehow, lol. He's not that kind of an ignorant and egoistic person like Itagaki was. I never cared about his personality, I just wanted the great gamed he made, DOA and NG. But, my main problem is/was that Itagaki reflected this in every game he made by changing something amd saying things like:

"NG2 is the best NG experience" what?

"Dead or Alive 4 is the best DOA I ever made" sure, lol

"Fans will love DOAX2" ok, why fans hate it then?

"Sigma 1 is the ultimate NG1" No, Black was and still is it, according to the gamers.

I just dont like that. It's so selfish.

@slickkat

My only concern for NG3 is the random SOBs. Well, I do like them as a OT replacement because I have to admit that the slow-mo cam and close up looks pretty nice. But I want control over the actual trigger of a SOB. Without SOBs it plays exactly like NG, we all love with some new moves etc. That's what I can see from videos. And pictures never lie.
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Female tengu.....

Let me put it this way, I m not like normal fans who spend time and energy bickering about every single minute detail and why it should be changed or not. But I know this, I never really fvck cared if itagaki was mean , evil or has a soot sayer tongue. I have only been interested in his perception of things, He is the one one who made NG, and NGB series which i hold is such high esteem. LIKE EVERY OTHER NG FAN OUT THERE. Even though NG2 was a failute to most we can both agree the combat system still got an overhaul, the speed was tremendously amped up, more weapons and FC(falcons talons) became my favorite weapon over DS.

Many people play this game differently, Yeah yeah, ppl complain about UT spamming and the lot, but its because we had played this series since its initiation on XBOX or PS3 that we came to terms with the way the UT works. I can argue with anyone here that even though the UT abilities of ryu aren't based on orbs, they can still be spammed and is even more instanteneous to pull on the spot. The UT looks ridiculous this far and can pass for just the same SoBs.with teleportation. So many backwardness in this title., I lack the energy to name, but the only reason I m still here is that I treat both hayashi and itagaki as the same if they can pull off something fantastic.

Sure itagaki has a large mouth, but so does hayashi, He presumed that the next NG title will surpass bayonettas and DMCs combat system( well he since he indirectly said they were outdated). But I havent seen a single crap in NG3 that makes it superior to bayonetta, and while I prefer NG series to DMC and bayonetta anyday, I acknowledge bayonetta to have the better combat system though the fluidity still goes to NG.. Bayonetta has QTES, NG has QTES. please tell me how hiyashi has made this game cinematic but not forced or scripted.

With all that said, and like I mentioned before different ppl have different expectations, some want to kill the enemies rather quickly, some people like me are interested in all the possible animations ryu could possibly have, I for one enjoy the movelist of the NG series more so than any game out there, especially NG2. You could cvhoose to kill off enemies off or combo them if you wanted. SoB strips all of this,and while ppl can argue that its a reinvention of the series, it goes against the code NG has witheld all these yrs, UNMATCHED FLUID COMBAT without interruptions.

Hayashi is just trying to prove to itagaki that he could surpass him, good, I have expectations of the guy but given his track record, and adding features like shaking boobs into a very serious game, I cant take him as serious as itagakis words. But if anything I know Itagaki would have done NG3 differently, seeing as I can say that even though NG2 was mostly offence the Combat exceeds NGB by a lot.

Anyways, I hope for the best with this series, I was willing to accept the SoBs after a very long time,but the lack of weapon variation in this game killed my spirit, Not everyone is interested in sword strikes, UI use FCs,Flail and tonfa more than I do TDS. So where does that leave me with this game...
Sath
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: PSN: ISathI
NGS - Sigma (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear god Slickcat lol

I agree with everything you say, but unlike you, I AM buying the game regardless (I am weak for NG franchise lol).

I am hoping for the best because that veteran player smokesnake or whatever his name was, made the combat very good and that is the ONLY reason why I still have faith it might turn out good.
Female Tengu
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ slickcat

I agree with your first part. Hayashi's talking was pure PR.

NG2 was a failure, at least for me. Despite being the same brilliant combat engine, I just could not accept this game as something which has been released 4!! years after NG1. I was shocked seeing such an unfinished and low on content product, you know.
Hayashi and his team made a better game from it. I loved it and still play it from time to time.

That's why I think that NG is in good hands. Makes me looking forward to the game, not hating it or "loosing faith".

I see no problem with UTs. You can only get one by killing enemies. Well, that was pretty much the same we did in NG1/2. Ryu cant charge UTs anymore, so teleporting is a fair trade, isn't it. Triggering the actual UT is one of the most interesting changes. I hate it when Ryu randomly absorbes essence. Your going for an (instant) UT and baam!... the essence is gone. Annoying ^^. So, it' a welcome change. Spamming may be a "problem", but that was Ninja Gaidens problem since the release of the second ninja master tournament DLC for NG1 (introduction of the UT charge). An incredible lame feature. What we have in NG3 now, is what I call "Back to the roots".

And yes, the weapons. I want my claws back, too. xD
Time will tell what NG3 will offer.

@sath

hah, same here. I will buy this game anyway. And if it sucks....Sigma 2 is waiting for me, lol
Ninja Dog
Ninja Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@female tengu

NG2 was a failure Funny

@sath

The player is not me. I just edited n uploaded to youtube.
Sath
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: PSN: ISathI
NGS - Sigma (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whoever was playing did the game justice in the state it is in right now Smile

And I agree, NG2 was a big failure other than the combat and some of the music tracks.
Shrykull
Greater Ninja
Greater Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spamming may be a "problem", but that was Ninja Gaidens problem since the release of the second ninja master tournament DLC for NG1 (introduction of the UT charge).

There is a difference though… in NG1 a UT took 4 or 5 seconds to charge, you couldn't pull it off out of the blue that easily (I was killed more than once trying to do it). UT spamming was essentially for the "test of valour" areas, and even some of these strongly dissuaded you to use them (120 Berserkers, hi !). In NG2 a UT takes less than 2 seconds to charge… you just have to take a little distance and the massacre begins. That makes even Master Ninja mode pretty easy most of the time (with a little practice, that is). That's also why I'm thankful for Sigma 2 to have made the enemies more resistant and more unforgiving in MN…

But it's true that in its actual form the NG3 UT is a bit disappointing. Not because of the mechanics but because of the lack of combo animation… hopefully each weapon will have a different kind of UT but if it's just "hi, stab, bye" for every weapon, it's not cool.

Other than that, Hayashi was indeed a bit assuming calling Bayonetta's gameplay "outdated"… enthusiast as I can be for NG3, Cereza is still at the top of my beat 'em all ranking for the moment and it doesn't seem to be changing soon.

About the review… it's strange that some reviewers didn't notice the buttons stopped to pop up after a bit of playing… are there cases where they didn't stop ? Confused
Female Tengu
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
About the review… it's strange that some reviewers didn't notice the buttons stopped to pop up after a bit of playing… are there cases where they didn't stop ?

maybe they died during the first encounter xD
Expert Ninja
Expert Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in terms of all the UT discussion here. Personally I never really liked the UTs in NG2/NGS2, gameplay-wise and aesthetically. It became lame very fast. First I could do like a walk around my hous untill the UTs finished and appart from a few weapons like the FT, the animations, the look of them got boring quite fast.

Sure, you had to have your positioning right so at least there were some strategical elements within the UTs. But apart from that they were rather boring. I would have welcomed the UTs to be just a little upgraded compared to the UTs in NG1 in terms of hits. As far as I´m concerned, it would have been more engaging to see Ryu doing just 2 or 3 hits more compared to NG1`s UTs but make them more brutal instead of the lame combo-feast in NG2. You are basically even longer disconnected with the UTs in NG2 than with the SoB in NG3, which takes like half a second.

I know, I know, but you were able to control the activation of an UT unlike a SoB. That´s for sure something that is a definitve plus on NG2´s side. In the end, I guess, that will be the most divisive element for long time NG fans. The UTs were optional, thus theoretically you are able to feel connected with Ryu most of the time. You are nearly totally in control of the things happening on screen with Ryu. Besides the movements of the OTs and the UTs.

After playing through NG2 several times, apart from the higher difficulty levels, I never used the UT´s in combat for the sake of progession. Ryu´s move set is just too damn versatile to spam UT´s instead. If at all, I only used them in near-death-situations.

So to return to the SoB, I personally like the one-hit-nearly-kill fact of the SoB a lot more than the let´s-have-tea-time-UTs in NG2. Though there´s the big bummer in leaving the enemies in NG3 paralysed through the SoB, therefor having not the danger like with the suicide bombers of NG2.

So right now, I´m still hanging at poise. I can see some nice new implementations but also some annoying effects through them within the gameplay. And that´s just based on observations.

I really have to wait for more footage and interviews and even more crucial, I have to play the damn game to value TN efforts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: