ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

Zelda TP final thoughts (Spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Videogames General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabotage
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: Critical sideFX
NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Zelda TP final thoughts (Spoilers) Reply with quote

Finished TP a little while ago and figured I'd give some final thoughts about the experience. First and foremost, this is a great game. IMO, this is the best Zelda game since OoT and in some ways, TP surpasses OoT. There are some complaints though that make me put OoT ahead of TP in the overall catagory (Probably nostalgia purposes clouding my judgement). For starters, I really didn't enjoy the whole Wolf Link aspect. The whole concept just seemed incomplete, Nintendo could've done a lot of interesting things with it to create some incredible gameplay dynamics but instead kept it pretty simple. After you beat the 3rd dungeon there really isn't any need for Wolf Link until certain parts of the game demand it (Most of the time you'll need Wolf Link to track down a scent). Another thing that bothered me with Wolf Link was the bug hunting. It was interesting the 1st time, semi-annoying the second time, and Ugh, not again the third time. Thank God Nintendo ditched the concept after the 3rd time because it could've really killed my experience with the game if they continued to use it.

Another flaw in the game was the fact that it feels pretty empty. It's nice that the scale of the game is all large and enormous but there's really nothing going on. Just lots of empty space with an occasional baddie sprinkled here and there. The world in the game really only feels alive in certain towns (Mainly Central City (?) in Hyrule). In the other towns there are NPC's but usually only a little bit more than a hand full. A small amount of NPC's may be fine for Ordon Village, but I was expecting Kakariko Village to be a little more active. While I'm speaking about the towns and villages, I was a little dissapointed there really isn't anything to do in the towns and villages. Where are all the fun mini-games?(Is there an Archery Contest in this game? I tried to look for one but couldn't find one anywhere) *Note:There are a nice amount of mini-games but most of them aren't located in a town*

My next complaint would be the fact that the bosses are all pretty easy (Especially the final boss, that was a letdown). On the plus side though, these are the best boss fights to ever appear in a Zelda game period. They may not be challenging but they are fun. In the end, I guess that's all that really matters.

As for the story, it's good. Really good (For a Zelda game anyways). My only problem with it is that it seems Ganondorf was just thrown into the story just for the fan service. I actually think the game would've benefitted better if they would've made Zant the main villian for the game and completely left out Ganondorf (This is coming from a guy who thinks Ganondorf is easily the best villian ever in a video game). Zant was fitting the ultimate villian role rather well until he had to step aside and let Ganondorf take the position. Afterwords he went into goofball mode and ended up looking like a joke of a villian (Which could've been avoided if Nintendo would've decided to keep him as the main villian and continued to flesh him out as one).

Now onto the positives, combat is fun as hell. Once I started to gain the Hidden Techniques the combat in the game proved to be far better than I expected. The combat in this Zelda game actually has some depth while remaining simple at the same time. No longer did I whore the Back Flip>Jump Attack like I did in past Zelda's, you actually have quite a few options in this game and it really helps keep the sword combat from being repeatitive. All of the Hidden Techniques are useful and I didn't really neglect any of them. I even used Mortal Draw regularly Smile. Add in all the sub-weapons and you'll be pleased with the amount of options you have to attack your enemy with.

Now, the most important part of the Zelda formula: the dungeons. They were all enjoyable. Some of them may not seem like much at first, but once you get the Key Item within the dungeon the experience completely changes. The puzzles in this Zelda may seem familiar at first but end up being fresh and in some cases completely unique. Certain dungeons are going to blow your mind. Arbiter Grounds, City in the Sky, and the Temple of Time all made me say "Oh crap, this was unexpected". All 3 of them are definately instant classics. The only dungeon I didn't like too much would be the Snow dungeon (Forgot the name of it but it takes place inside the Yeti's house). It had an interesting concept but the flow was a little scrambled. I spent a little too much time saying "What the hell am I suppose to do?". As for the Water Temple, well, it was a pain in the ass in OoT and it's a pain in the ass in TP. This is not a complaint, it's a compliment. It was challenging in a fun way.You will get stumped, this temple just has a history to be evil like that. But once you figure it out you'll look around as if you're expecting someone to hand you the Mensa prize.

Finally, there's a lot of side-quests to do. Finding Poe Souls, collecting Golden Bugs, fishing, searching for caves (They're like mini-dungeons), and of course the mini-games (Ice Boarding is awesome).The game will keep me busy for a while.

IMO, this game is easily a 9.5.

Get it, play it, love it.

Last edited by sabotage on Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryu_Hayabusa
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

NG - Emblem (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine is gettin a Wii (wee!), so I can try the game for myself. I'll never get a Wii though.
Expert Ninja
Expert Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we have luck we will find some in stores
Common Ninja
Common Ninja

Gamertag: DICLONIUS83

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO,I think its the overall best 3-d Zelda game so far. I just beat the gamecube version of it. My only complaint is that the game was really easy overall but maby its just because I play NGB too much though the bosses were pretty sweet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Videogames General Board All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: