ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

Heavenly Sword demo is up on the PSN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Videogames General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keylay
Legendary Ninja
Legendary Ninja

Gamertag: Keylay
NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1) NGDS - The Eye of the Dragon (Amount: 1) NGS - Sigma (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Heavenly Sword demo is up on the PSN Reply with quote

I just finished downloading it. I'll give my impression later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sabotage
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: Critical sideFX
NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been talking to NoC for like the past 2 hours about the demo. The game is different. Like, the actual mechanics of the game and how it all works is completely different from stuff like DMC and NG. Sounds very interesting though. Oh, be prepared for some framerate problems. The demo is apparently of an old build of the game.
Legendary Ninja
Legendary Ninja

NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1) NGDS - The Eye of the Dragon (Amount: 1) NGS - Sigma (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been hearing too many good things about it. I'm hoping they didn't know how to play it properly. One thing I know I don't like is how enemies fall to the ground. They move so slowly. Maybe that was supposed to be the style. And I heard there is automatic block or something. Oh well, I'll go play and find out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sabotage
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, there is auto-blocking but the way you counter attack is pretty clever. The enemies will have a certain aura around them when they go to attack, the color of this aura determines which stance you have to use to successfully do a counter attack. Timing also plays a part in the type of counter attack you do, poor timing results in a very simple and weak counter attack while perfect timing results in a fatal counter attack.

Like I said, the mechanics of the game sound very interesting.
Legendary Ninja
Legendary Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you counter?
sabotage
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh.... That part I couldn't tell you. I haven't played the demo, I've just spoken to people who have played it and got information that way. I'll ask around.
Legendary Ninja
Legendary Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demo was pretty short.
sabotage
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, a lot of people are saying it's like 5 minutes long despite the fact that it's a 1 GB file. Everything must be uncompressed.
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the countering system works kind of like DMC3's Royal Guard. Try pressing the attack button as soon as their attack is about to hit you.
Legendary Ninja
Legendary Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a little more fun my second time once I learned some combos. Still trying to figure out block. They can only hit me if I try to attack, right? Lots of this game seems to be automatic. The aerial combos and stuff or all defind. You can't really mix in different moves.
sabotage
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja of Chaos wrote:
The defense system is the biggest change here. First time through the demo...I hated it...simple as that. You have to be standing still and not doing any movements for it to register as a block ala some fighting games. But second time through, when I tried to actually play with that, it starts making sense....it sets the game right in between tactical and DMC-style. Basically what it forces you to do, is to plan out when you are going to roll and attack ahead of time so that at the end you are not being attacked while in movement and are unable to block. After you can see openings, then you usually wanna end in a long recovery because during that recovery, she can block....so I guess that makes a little more sense why after a finisher you cannot switch to the other two secondary stances.

Legendary Ninja
Legendary Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabotage wrote:
Ninja of Chaos wrote:
The defense system is the biggest change here. First time through the demo...I hated it...simple as that. You have to be standing still and not doing any movements for it to register as a block ala some fighting games. But second time through, when I tried to actually play with that, it starts making sense....it sets the game right in between tactical and DMC-style. Basically what it forces you to do, is to plan out when you are going to roll and attack ahead of time so that at the end you are not being attacked while in movement and are unable to block. After you can see openings, then you usually wanna end in a long recovery because during that recovery, she can block....so I guess that makes a little more sense why after a finisher you cannot switch to the other two secondary stances.

Thanks. The cool thing I'll admit is how she can move from one combo to another. It's really fast and fluid.
Keylay
Legendary Ninja
Legendary Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind what I said in my last post. You can't really string combos together. I got the counter down. Same as Ninja Gaiden except you don't have to hold down block. I think that's probably the key to doing well since most of the enemies block.
sabotage
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told you can't string combo's together if the recovery of a move doesn't allow it. Have you tried to avoid using finishers?
Legendary Ninja
Legendary Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabotage wrote:
I was told you can't string combo's together if the recovery of a move doesn't allow it. Have you tried to avoid using finishers?

Yea, I did. It doesn't let you go into combos though, unless I'm doing it wrong. Like I can do the first two attacks of a combo from speed stance and then go into power stance but I can only do one hit. I can't go into a power stance combo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Videogames General Board All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: