ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus Genral Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Ninja Gaiden ∑ Sigma
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Female Tengu
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

Gamertag: GalaxySpider PSN: GalaxySpider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.

Well I still dont get why they have to make a direct port from Sigma 1. If I decide to play Sigma 1, I will do that on my much bigger TV at home and not on that small screen with horrible controls (thumbsticks are too small) and some touch-pad gimmicks. Gimmicks are gimmicks. If handheld games cant come up with an own concept, it's pointless buying a direct port from its "big brother" which lacks in HD and overall better graphics (I think most screens here are bullshots).

NG DS at least was its own game with unique controls and features, so it was actually worth to play it on a handheld. I cant say that for Sigma 1 Plus....
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

Gamertag: mohsin117 PSN: mohsin117

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem like just a port, I mean donít get me wrong im not mashing on it just because itís a port NGS is brilliant game, but im just not getting the point off it, it doesnít seem like there will be anything new, and itís not going to have like cross platform PS3 to PSV save transfers, or do anything that ďreallyĒ takes advantage of the PSV, they really should have updated the modes with the NGS2 just to make it look better and have even one new weapon

This game really just needed Ayane playable, as its hook

TNs probably got their hand full at the moment to be doing anything new for NGSP, so maybe they should have held it back for a little longer and put some new stuff in it and release it after the PSVs launch but then again it already been several years since it first came out and as grate of a game it is the longer you level it the more dated itís going to get (especially after TN made all them comments about NG2 being out of date)

And I recently bought NGB on XBLA, and IMO itís clear that the NG combat system has moved on since the original NG

Well we got NGSP we can expect NGS2P and NG3 PSV how long till we get an original title, I would have gone out and bought a PSV day one if it had an original NG, title really hoping they still got an original title in the works or planned for the 3DS, NGDS honestly one of the best NG games ever.
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by mohsin117 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
mohsin117
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of new NGSP screens, I would post them all but my Flickr around id pretty full (that's why I made them all in to on big image)
But here are some of the more interesting ones

Untitled-10 by mohsin117, on Flickr

Looks like where going to get an NG3 Ryu costume and Rachel's NGS2 costume and a new one for her, but them head plates/helmets I can't see them being costumes or even customisation, I think they may be something like armlets, and at first I thought that band type thing Ryu had on his food was something for Ninja Dog but if you look at the second one down on the left he's wearing a spiky one

The pics are form the NGSP official site, there's a few others including more shots of Rachel in her new costume

http://teamninja-studio.com/ngsv/eu/screenshots.html

also Ryu's new health bar looks ok, but Rachel's not so much, i liked the NGS heath bars thy where very cool

Last edited by mohsin117 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Female Tengu
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinite Ninpo? Why not infinite health and one-hit-kill weapons. Oh wait, Inazuma actually IS a one-hit-kill ninpo.

Seriously, buying this game is basically the same as throwing your money out of the window. And what's with these helmets lol. It looks stupid. Power Rangers? Where is the pink, yellow and white helmet? xD
Every time a new handheld launches, TN has to bring some portable version of NG. What's the point. Well, Dragon Sword was ok and unique. But this one here is nonsense.
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infinite ninpo? did i mis something?

first trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9pqAKX-Ybg
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the second pic it says "and use ninpo as often as you want". Ninpo never was limited in terms of usage. Only limitation was the resource we know as "KI".
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: XBL: CyberEvil PSN: CyberEvil-PSN
NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1) NGDS - The Eye of the Dragon (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from the trailer we're getting a very competent port of Sigma with extra content. I'm all in on this one. Very interested to see how this pans out. It'll be nice to get my costume back again (Ashtar Ryu; C4 in DoA4 for reference).
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus IGN Review:

http://uk.vita.ign.com/articles/121/1218933p1.html

IGN scores for the other NG games:

NGSP = 8.0
NGS2 = 8.4
NG2 = 8.7
NGDS = 8.6
NGS = 9.3
NGB = 9.4
NG = 9.4
Legendary Ninja
Legendary Ninja

Gamertag: Keylay
NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1) NGDS - The Eye of the Dragon (Amount: 1) NGS - Sigma (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't expecting more than 8.5. I wonder if they actually played through it or just a few levels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CyberEvil
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1) NGDS - The Eye of the Dragon (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the sites are under a review crush. Best believe NGSP got the half hour playtest treatment by someone who played NGS to save time and effort. Looks very solid and I'm excited to get my hands on it Wednesday.The Trophy list is complete crap, though. They could have at least tried to have some fun ones for the game. Kill 1000 enemies with every weapon individually? Really? That crap sucked in Sigma 2 and it's worse in a game most of us have played through literally dozens of times.
Greater Ninja
Greater Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00016509-ninja-gaiden-sigma-plus-test.htm

ę†Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus is a port, solid technically and lazy in terms of creativity. Don't expect anything new, except the not really convincing use of the console's tactile and gyroscopic features. But the realization is convincing and the gameplay is still as technical and efficient. This Vita version should allow the latecomers to play a nervous and demanding (sometimes even grueling) game, that didn't take a wrinkle. Ľ
CyberEvil
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game plays very smooth and seems to be running mostly NGS assets. Appears locked at 30fps though I have seen it dip once or twice. Keep in mind that I play very aggressively and much faster than most (though most of us here probably play about the same speed). The enhancements (new equipment for stat boosts) are interesting and the Ninja Trials are kind of fun. Not a bad port and I'm digging the game in general.
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameTraielrs.com Review
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-ninja-gaiden/727323
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: My review Reply with quote

Decided to write an informal review on the game now that I have finished it to a larger degree than any of the so-called "reviewers" on the major sites have. I'll touch on the things that are most concerning to people here, but keep in mind I did not play Sigma anywhere near as much as the original or Black; if I say something is "new" I may just not remember it from Sigma.

Starting with the least important but also most discussed part of the game: graphics and framerate. The game seems to mostly running NGS PS3 assets with a few flat textures here and there. The animations are still smooth and the character models are just as good as their PS3 counterparts. No corners were cut with animations so everything down to the different roll animations based on the direction you are facing are present and accounted for. The framerate hovers close to 30 frames per second as far as I can tell but does dip occasionally and not in the places you might think. The engine has no problem with a ton of particle effects on-screen; it seems to only falter when it is rendering several character models close up.

As an aside, the only place I noticed anything was turned down for this portable version was on the airship. Executing Dragon Gleam (360+Strong, in case I mis-remembered the name) in the power room no longer produces the framerate-crushing shower of sparks it did in all previous versions. The machines just randomly go from looking normal to broken with no animations, sound effects, or particle effects. I have no clue why this was removed considering the framerate isn't always consistent even in gameplay. Kind of unfortunate. Also, I just dedicated an entire paragraph to the removal of one of my favorite effects. Hope you're comfortable.

Continuing on with the framerate, now, we get to gameplay implications. This cannot be overstated enough: the reduced framerate does NOT hinder gameplay. I found myself able to adjust to the timing instantly and effortlessly. Taking advantage of i-frames feels precisely the same, shuriken-canceling feels exactly the same, and OL attacks have the same timing as before. Do not let the nay-sayers sway you into thinking this compromises gameplay. I have played every single title in this series extensively, with the aforementioned exception of Sigma, though I did complete it a few times, and I would be the first put off by a different feeling game. It feels like classic Ninja Gaiden. End of story.

The game progression still holds up just as it did years ago, today. This also means that the game does falter in progression occasionally towards the latter third. It still feels like the game had some extra levels arbitrarily spliced in to increase the length as certain parts still do not feel like they exist in a cohesive package. In particular, the entirety of the Zarkhan section of the game feels unnecessary and borders on game-breakingly tedious. The game starts losing steam after killing Alma, picks it back up at the military base, and then loses it again until the final two chapters. While this is largely a personal gripe and not everyone will agree, it is undeniable that the game sometimes feels like Itagaki and company were trying too hard to have level and gameplay diversity; to me, it came at the expense of fluid progression through the game. The game still stands as one of the greatest action titles ever (Ninja Gaiden Black being the greatest, in my opinion), but much like some of the best movies, certain parts stand out all the more in retrospect as being unnecessary.

Now, the Vita-specific changes to gameplay! Ninpo is going to be one of the first things people notice if they dive into Ninja Trials before the game. You still launch Ninpo the same way, with Strong+Projectile, however immediately thereafter you are taken to a new screen. Once on this screen you are tasked with various touch exercises to power up your Ninpo (above the levels previously seen, though it may be to the same 'shake' levels as Sigma; I never did it). Nothing is particularly challenging and they are so quick that it can't really be said that they interrupt gameplay flow. The mini-game for Rachel's sorcery is particularly noteworthy as being kind of fun, insofar as a two second screen can be. Really, the Ninpo stuff enhances the gameplay rather than hinders it. The same cannot be said of the other major addition: touch screen free-look and aiming.

GODDAMN YOU TEAM NINJA! &$&$#%% #$%^#%^!!!!

Ahem. To dispel one rumor I've seen floating around: no, folks with larger hands will not accidentally activate the free-look more than maybe once in an entire playthrough. I do have relatively large hands and it just did not happen. The biggest issue, and the one that may make the game nigh-impossible to beat on Master Ninja, is the bow controls. You cannot turn this off. Even if you set it to button controls in the menu, the option to use the gyroscope to aim is not only still there, it will often interfere with your analog aiming (which only works if you set it to 'buttons' in Options, peculiarly enough). In short, if you need to aim, do not move. If you do, you will never hit your target. Ever. The other massive annoyance? The one that practically breaks the game in the Chopper fight at the base? Once in aim-mode, you cannot exit by rolling, blocking, or any other input beyond the Jump button. Compounding this, the input doesn't register as a jump, it just cancels the first-person aiming. That group of missiles the chopper just shot? You see them coming? Already too late unless he's circling in the background. You're going to eat them for breakfast. That little 'X' icon in the bottom right? Good luck hitting it without moving your entire system and changing your view because of the gyroscope again. Also, you will still have to roll or jump out of the way after canceling the mode, so that's still not any better than the Jump button. Perhaps most aggravating of all is that this all seems like a glitch.

See, when you set the aiming controls to 'Buttons' in the options menu, it explicitly mentions entering aiming by titling the analog stick, which is precisely how it worked in the past. The problem? It doesn't work. Moving the stick after pulling your drawstring back, just like you would in the previous versions, does nothing. You stand there holding your bow drawn like an imbecile. I was killed by the chopper on normal. On NORMAL! It is blatantly insulting for someone with the skill-level I have in these games to be killed by a boss that I used to destroy within the first 30-seconds of the fight on the highest difficulty. Now, because of what may very well be a programming error, I have to blow through healing items, or worse, a talisman, just to survive the fight. Any time throughout the game that I was called on for my bow, I was filled with dread because the controls are game-breakingly horrible. I would mostly stick to trying my damnedest to make my Windmill Shuriken connect instead. The bow did not even get an auto-aim assist to back it all up.

A special shoutout for boneheaded design decisions: adding the underwater spike traps to the swimming sections. These are already nearly universally regarded as worst sections of the game; why the hell would you make them even more frustrating? Baffling.

Alright, I promise that I'm now done with gripes. The Vita-exclusive Enhancements are a very interesting addition. These items function much like Ryu's armlets but can be equipped alongside them. Much like the armlet, you may only have one at a time, but since they can be used in tandem with the armlets we have access to some interesting additions. Want to greatly increase your attack at the expense of some defense? Awesome. Want to break the game? Also equip the Armlet of the Moon to negate the defense loss. Want to effectively give yourself a God mode? Equip that same Enhancement alongside the Armlet of the Sun AND use Unlabored Flawlessness at five percent health. You will one-shot absolutely everything in the game. Now that we are on the fourth iteration of this title, I have no reservations about cheapening the experience in the interest of fun, so I can dig what they were doing here. They are a lot of fun to mess around with and are also persistent across games. The enhancements you unlock during the Story mode will roll over to your next playthrough on a higher (or lower) difficulty. There are difficulty exclusive Enhancements, though, so start on Normal. While I haven't tried it, I believe Hero mode is considered Normal so the unlocks should be the same. Curiously, the Ninja Trials missions have exclusive Enhancements that can be equipped on any mission but that do not carry over to the story mode, and the Story Enhancements similarly do not carry over to Ninja Trials. Not sure why there are balancing considerations in this game when you take into account the situation I talked about earlier in this section, but there it is.

Trophies are now in the game for the first time as well. They are not terribly interesting or well thought out, but they do have the effect of changing how you play somewhat. There are the now-expected "____ master" trophies for getting a certain amount of kills with a weapon or Ninpo, completion trophies for story milestones, and some tied to scarabs. There are also some trophies tied to completing the Fiend Challenges, referred to in Sigma Plus as "Ambushes." I actually appreciated that as many people tend to skip them and they are fun diversions with great rewards. Nothing really unique, trophy-wise, but they are still a big draw for some people, myself included.

Rounding out the Vita content are the costumes. After completing the game the first time through, I unlocked Ryu's classic blue costume and the Doppelganger or Ashtar Ryu costume. Interestingly, the Doppelganger costume and Rachel's business woman costume (also unlocked by beating the game once) confer stat changes. They both increase your health at the expense of some defense. Kind of odd and they have this effect in both Story and Ninja Trials. The final costume for Ryu is still locked, but judging by the silhouette it appears to be his Ninja Gaiden III garb. I will let folks know once I do. I did obtain all 50 scarabs so that is not the unlock method. May be a Master Ninja unlock, which would be unfortunate considering the Military Base and the aiming problems.

The game is starting to show some signs of aging, but is very much aging well, all things considered. Tight action, few framerate drops, and a mostly uncompromised Ninja Gaiden in my [very large cargo-pants-] pocket. The quibbles I mentioned have the possibility of being patched, as well, so there is hope there. Those relatively isolated (though still infuriating!) issues aside, I thoroughly enjoyed playing through this modern classic again, and have already begun my next playthrough.

Score: 8.5/10

Reason for scoring the way I did: while I covered my issues with the game at great length, they are ostensibly small issues that have the possibility of being patched in the future. Had the aiming issue not been present at all, this game would likely have hit a 9/10 for me. Otherwise the game is technically proficient, content-rich, and still nearly as excellent as we all remember it to be. This would be my most recommended Vita launch title, closely in front of WipEout 2048 and Super Stardust Delta.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Ninja Gaiden ∑ Sigma All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: