ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

So what do you think of the game?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Ninja Gaiden II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikar
Common Ninja
Common Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a long-time hardcore NGB fan who has completed NGB / story mode / MN and most of mission modes on MN with no elixirs, ninpo, and after completing NG2 on warrior mode with the DCTF, I have some views:

1) NG2's graphics quality is insanely awesome compared to NGB. Just look at the environment and UTs. I love it!

2) NG2 is obviously a rushed sloppy job cranked out at the last min. MS must have pressured the dev team into completing the game asap. Maybe this is the REAL reason why Itagaki left. Seems that any game associated with MS ends up as crap. NGB took 5 freaking years and NG2 took just 2+ years.

3) They should not have replaced the roll with the dash. They should keep the roll in NG2, and to handle the aggressiveness of the enemies in NG2, they should make the roll longer and faster.

4) Not a complaint or anything, but I'm personally p**sed off by the fact that the Incendiary shurikens can hit you eeven in mid-air, and immediately right after you finish a UT. Speaking of UTs, I notice they removed the 1-second invincibility frame when the UT ends.

5) Glitches, bugs, and more glitches! I've no issues with the frame-rate or anything, but the game always hangs (need to shut down xBox 360) and worst of all, the fatal chapter 10-acid room glitch. How could Itagaki and Team Ninja let this happen! What happened to NGB's successor?

6) Dagra-Dai's fight is the very definition of insanity. The whole background is so flashy and complicated and colorful and I can't even where who is who. OK, maybe I'll get better with time, for sure.

7) The Dragon Sword. This is the only returning weapon from NGB (next to Lunar and the flails) that has not been significantly upgraded. I can see a huge difference in NGB and NG2's Lunar and flails, but the DS has barely been upgraded to cope with the newer, more aggressive enemies and bosses.
Flying swallow has been upgraded, sure, but do you really want to spam the move over and over again?

While the DS has been given usome new moves, they're just there for the sake of it and do people really use it? Like Wrath of Izanagi, Seal of Ten, Three Lights etc.....most people still use the Izuna drop, and UT.

Gleaming Blade is no longer as useful as in NGB. In NGB, you just do it and they'll either come for it or get hit. In NG2, the enemies will just back off and you're there spinning by yourself. Not too sure, but the damage seems to have been toned down somewhat. In terms of crowd control, the DS absolutely sarks.

I would love to see people do MN with a DS, however.

For the TDS, it's even more disappointing. The cut-scene and description showcases it as some legendary ultimate weapon. Sure, but that was the case in NGB. In NG2, this is no longer the case. I can wipe out 15 tech ninjas with the DCTF much faster, lose less life and easier by using the DCTF.

Cool Ninja dogs are ridiculous. Come on! They just fly at you off-screen and it's an unblockable grab. In NGB, you can just hold block and let the basts flying-swallow at you and punish them for it, but here? Good luck. Zombie dogs are even worse.

9) The story is boring but ok. What I feel p***ed off is the ending. Ryu and Sonia watching the sunset together? GAWD!!!!

10) Camera is worse than NGB in when there's a lot of enemies, it doesn't show them, so you'll just eat attacks off-screen. Controlling the camera is possible up to a certain extent, but I would love to see people controlling the camera properly on MN / chapter 3 and those tech ninjas.
Oh, and not to forget, the camera and the screen in chapter 12 / double armadillo fight.
So, people can still see where ryu is when the whole screen is all flashing with lava and fireballs, all red, orange and bright yellow?

11) Bosses are crap. The only bosses which are fun to fight is Genshin and Volf and Elizebet, cos' they require you to learn their moves, much like NGB's Doku, Alma etc.
For Alexei, his grab are instant and it's hard to see it coming, not to mention his lightning projectiles, which I think is more or less unblockable / un-avoidable unless u do ninpo.

12) For Godomus (giant troll) / chapter 9 fight, there's 2 mechs (I call these Gundams) with him.
this is the same as fighting marbus on NGS with 2 berserkers attacking you at the same time non-stop.
solution? Spam UTs, and especially, Scythe's UT, as most people say.
Can't we just do combos on them and survive? The game is really too reliant on "Scythe's UTs".

13) NG2 relies quite a lot on arrows and aiming, which pisses me off. Beat the final boss first form with arrows? Come on now. Fighting the final boss, regardless of whether it's 1st or 2nd form, should be EPIC and cool. How can using arrows be epic? I wish we could fight the final boss 1st form with real combos and weapons.

14) NG2's final boss 2nd form is the time for BUTTON-MASHING. Go up to his hand and button-mash your way through and heal if needed. Game completed easily.

15) I feel NG2 doesn't have that kind of "smart" AI as NGB. the game is difficult cos' enemies are being cheap and spawn in greater numbers. In NGB, for example, you fight 3 basts.
One will knock you up into the air if you're not careful and the other will coordinate and flying-swallow you. There's so such "smartness" in NG2.

16) The only part is NG2 which I feel can really surpass NGB is the chapter 10 / staircase. That's the meaning of epic, and the slow-mo framerate only makes it way cooler than ever. Too bad the fight isn't that long.....I wish they could add in 500 more enemies at least, or better still make it infinite so that i can party on that styaircase for 3 hours of fihgint non-stop.

17) Zednoius 2nd fight, if somehow he flies far away from you and keep summoning gajas, you're screwed. Of course, I'm sure I'll get better with time.

1Cool There's a ton of trolls in Gamefaqs.com's NG2 forum.
slickcat
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnificent review dude, You are pretty concise, and now you have me debating on whether to buy the game or not.... SADLY , SWAN SONG happens to be fvck up cake with screw holes
Wanderfalke
Expert Ninja
Expert Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikar wrote:
Being a long-time hardcore NGB fan who has completed NGB / story mode / MN and most of mission modes on MN with no elixirs, ninpo, and after completing NG2 on warrior mode with the DCTF, I have some views:

1) NG2's graphics quality is insanely awesome compared to NGB. Just look at the environment and UTs. I love it!

2) NG2 is obviously a rushed sloppy job cranked out at the last min. MS must have pressured the dev team into completing the game asap. Maybe this is the REAL reason why Itagaki left. Seems that any game associated with MS ends up as crap. NGB took 5 freaking years and NG2 took just 2+ years.

3) They should not have replaced the roll with the dash. They should keep the roll in NG2, and to handle the aggressiveness of the enemies in NG2, they should make the roll longer and faster.

4) Not a complaint or anything, but I'm personally p**sed off by the fact that the Incendiary shurikens can hit you eeven in mid-air, and immediately right after you finish a UT. Speaking of UTs, I notice they removed the 1-second invincibility frame when the UT ends.

5) Glitches, bugs, and more glitches! I've no issues with the frame-rate or anything, but the game always hangs (need to shut down xBox 360) and worst of all, the fatal chapter 10-acid room glitch. How could Itagaki and Team Ninja let this happen! What happened to NGB's successor?

6) Dagra-Dai's fight is the very definition of insanity. The whole background is so flashy and complicated and colorful and I can't even where who is who. OK, maybe I'll get better with time, for sure.

7) The Dragon Sword. This is the only returning weapon from NGB (next to Lunar and the flails) that has not been significantly upgraded. I can see a huge difference in NGB and NG2's Lunar and flails, but the DS has barely been upgraded to cope with the newer, more aggressive enemies and bosses.
Flying swallow has been upgraded, sure, but do you really want to spam the move over and over again?

While the DS has been given usome new moves, they're just there for the sake of it and do people really use it? Like Wrath of Izanagi, Seal of Ten, Three Lights etc.....most people still use the Izuna drop, and UT.

Gleaming Blade is no longer as useful as in NGB. In NGB, you just do it and they'll either come for it or get hit. In NG2, the enemies will just back off and you're there spinning by yourself. Not too sure, but the damage seems to have been toned down somewhat. In terms of crowd control, the DS absolutely sarks.

I would love to see people do MN with a DS, however.

For the TDS, it's even more disappointing. The cut-scene and description showcases it as some legendary ultimate weapon. Sure, but that was the case in NGB. In NG2, this is no longer the case. I can wipe out 15 tech ninjas with the DCTF much faster, lose less life and easier by using the DCTF.

Cool Ninja dogs are ridiculous. Come on! They just fly at you off-screen and it's an unblockable grab. In NGB, you can just hold block and let the basts flying-swallow at you and punish them for it, but here? Good luck. Zombie dogs are even worse.

9) The story is boring but ok. What I feel p***ed off is the ending. Ryu and Sonia watching the sunset together? GAWD!!!!

10) Camera is worse than NGB in when there's a lot of enemies, it doesn't show them, so you'll just eat attacks off-screen. Controlling the camera is possible up to a certain extent, but I would love to see people controlling the camera properly on MN / chapter 3 and those tech ninjas.
Oh, and not to forget, the camera and the screen in chapter 12 / double armadillo fight.
So, people can still see where ryu is when the whole screen is all flashing with lava and fireballs, all red, orange and bright yellow?

11) Bosses are crap. The only bosses which are fun to fight is Genshin and Volf and Elizebet, cos' they require you to learn their moves, much like NGB's Doku, Alma etc.
For Alexei, his grab are instant and it's hard to see it coming, not to mention his lightning projectiles, which I think is more or less unblockable / un-avoidable unless u do ninpo.

12) For Godomus (giant troll) / chapter 9 fight, there's 2 mechs (I call these Gundams) with him.
this is the same as fighting marbus on NGS with 2 berserkers attacking you at the same time non-stop.
solution? Spam UTs, and especially, Scythe's UT, as most people say.
Can't we just do combos on them and survive? The game is really too reliant on "Scythe's UTs".

13) NG2 relies quite a lot on arrows and aiming, which pisses me off. Beat the final boss first form with arrows? Come on now. Fighting the final boss, regardless of whether it's 1st or 2nd form, should be EPIC and cool. How can using arrows be epic? I wish we could fight the final boss 1st form with real combos and weapons.

14) NG2's final boss 2nd form is the time for BUTTON-MASHING. Go up to his hand and button-mash your way through and heal if needed. Game completed easily.

15) I feel NG2 doesn't have that kind of "smart" AI as NGB. the game is difficult cos' enemies are being cheap and spawn in greater numbers. In NGB, for example, you fight 3 basts.
One will knock you up into the air if you're not careful and the other will coordinate and flying-swallow you. There's so such "smartness" in NG2.

16) The only part is NG2 which I feel can really surpass NGB is the chapter 10 / staircase. That's the meaning of epic, and the slow-mo framerate only makes it way cooler than ever. Too bad the fight isn't that long.....I wish they could add in 500 more enemies at least, or better still make it infinite so that i can party on that styaircase for 3 hours of fihgint non-stop.

17) Zednoius 2nd fight, if somehow he flies far away from you and keep summoning gajas, you're screwed. Of course, I'm sure I'll get better with time.

1Cool There's a ton of trolls in Gamefaqs.com's NG2 forum.

Soo true Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Itagaki said that he would never make compromises when it comes down to his high quality production values. He didnīt remain true to himself at all. Itīs such a shame that a game like NG2, which had so much potential to become one of the greatest action games in history, was screwed by itīs own creator. With NG/B they had the best foundation to bring the action genre to a new level, but they failed in an unexplainable way.

By the way, is nobody so pissed of by the totally linear level design as I am??? Invisible walls everywhere!!! No exploration at all. I loved how NG has given away more and more of itīs world through each chapter. Tairon felt so massive after you came close to last chapters. But this time around, every level feels totally lifeless and isnīt immersive at all.
Nikar
Common Ninja
Common Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Slickcat:
Quote:
magnificent review dude, You are pretty concise, and now you have me debating on whether to buy the game or not.... SADLY , SWAN SONG happens to be fvck up cake with screw holes

Seriously, if you already have an xBox 360, you should buy the game.

Despite what I say, it's still a very good game, just don't compare it to NGB or else you'll be disappointed, like me.
I feel NGB is the perfect game (though sometimes the camera is a little bad), so I expected too much of NG2, and now it's disappointing.

If you don't have an xBox 360 yet, then you should wait a few more years for the price to drop to a low level, buy a 2nd-hand one from eBay with used copy of NG2.

From Wanderfalke:
Quote:
Itagaki said that he would never make compromises when it comes down to his high quality production values. He didnīt remain true to himself at all.

That's what puzzled me as well. From what I know, he has a very insane mindset of game development discipline, like you know, he wants things to be perfect and all that, and NG2 really made me think "Is it REALLY TRUE that Itagaki is the game development director of NG2?"
I still can't believe it till now. I thought NG2 = Itagaki's lifeblood

Quote:
By the way, is nobody so pissed of by the totally linear level design as I am??? Invisible walls everywhere!!! No exploration at all. I loved how NG has given away more and more of itīs world through each chapter. Tairon felt so massive after you came close to last chapters. But this time around, every level feels totally lifeless and isnīt immersive at all.

I am! The game is too linear, but then, this is the only way to speed up the development and squeeze it to 2-year deadline. Rolling EyesRolling EyesRolling Eyes

I love it in NGB, where you could basically go around the entire game, every place is connected to every place, fight re-spawning enemies, practice your skills again and again on specific enemies till you perfect them......it's a very refreshing feeling people can never get sick of.
In NG2, we just go through a fixed path where everything is layed out properly, fight the enemies at the designated locations, proceed to next location etc.
And worse yet, we can't go back to earlier chapters for further adventures and exploration.

I remember in NGB, I could play it like 20 times on story mode without getting sick, and now in NG2, I'm on my 2nd run and I already feel tired of it.
The replay value is much much lower in this game. Let's hope the mission mode DLC in July will solve the replay value problem.

For the story, I can seriously say NGB's plot > NG2's plot.
NGB's story may be bad, but at least it's all well-connected, unlike NG2, where the locations and storyline etc. don't fit in too well with each piece of the plot.

Lastly, costumes! Very Happy In NGB, we had so many original costumes, but in this game, it's just the same costume with different color schemes. And why's that? Cos' the developers wanna complete and push out NG2 in the shortest time possible.

It's a mistake that Tecmo actually work with Microsoft.

That said, I still love NG2, though. Just wished that they could focus less on the graphics and more on the overall gameplay experience. I don't mind if NG2 has NGB's graphics if the gameplay is as good.
Sephirousy
Ninja Dog
Ninja Dog

Gamertag: Sephirousy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had only a couple problems with this game.

Blood stains: They seem to splatter against invisible walls, I mean seriously, next-gen graphics shouldn't have blood splatters floating in mid-air.

Difficulty Curve: Now this doesn't effect me personally so much, I'm used to the punishing difficulty of Ninja Gaiden, but the thing is, it'd be insanely hard for a new player to the series to get full enjoyment out of it, it's like running headlong into a brick wall, some parts are plain ridiculous.

Glitches and Bugs: Something else that irritated me, on my second play though of the game, when you're able to actually buy things like Lives of the Thousand Gods and Life of the Gods, I bought a few, then happened to open a treasure chest only to find a Lives of the Thousand Gods that I'd already obtained, and thanks to this glitch, I'm now unable to use ANY of the Lives I'd bought, the same is the case with the Life of the Gods.

Framerate: Ok, so this issue isn't a huge one, but with the Xbox 360 being so powerful, Ninja Gaiden shouldn't be made to a level where the frame rate actually slows down when things start to get busy on screen!

Still, despite all of these problems, I do love the game, it can really pull you in with the combat system and when a game can do that, it can make up for a LOT of flaws.
Ninpojanne
Common Ninja
Common Ninja

Gamertag: Ninpojanne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad thing is that there's a lot of combos and cool moves in game but Mentor and MN just forces the player to use izuna drop or flying swallow (I'm looking at you LVL2-3 Claws). Only time to use those nice combo moves are in acolyte and warrior. Okay sometimes I use them in MN when there is only one enemy.

DMC had some cool things that didn't ask to resort to one and only move and projectiles weren't annoying. But the enemies aren't aggressive in DMC and 70% enemies have super armor effects so that takes some point from it.

Otherwise I'm NOW liking this more than Black because of the weapons only. NGB's UF, Dabi, DDB and DS made me feel bored sometimes. The opinion might change when I've beaten this game on MN.
Rogue Ninja
Rogue Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing NG2 is like making sex - once you've done with it, you start to think that the whole thing is dirty and not worth of your attention but after a short while, you want more and more.

Last edited by Takehaniyasubiko on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Nikar
Common Ninja
Common Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Playing NG2 is like making sex - once you've done with it, you start to think that the whole thing is dirty and worth of your attention but after a short while, you want more and more.

Very true!

But for me:

NG2 = like sex and I think it's crappy after I'm done, but find my urge to play it slowly coming back after 1 - 2 days of no-playing

NGB = constant orgasm 365/24/7

That's the difference. Smile
sanman
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: Sanman7890
NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not make such.....noxious analogies gentlmen, thank you.
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what he said
Ryu_Hayabusa
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

NG - Emblem (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaying the game now on Acolyte with only the Dragon Sword. I'm having a lot of fun and I'm on Chapter 9 so far. I hope to have the Feat of a 1000 Obliterations in this run.
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: Sanman7890
NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 OTs took me alot longer than I thought it would

But i got it on my second playthrough, I just had to make myself use them more than normal is all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Ninja Gaiden II All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: