ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

What are your thoughts about 300?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Movies, Music, TV shows, and Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryu_Hayabusa
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

NG - Emblem (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartans where thought (you could say brainwashed) that battle was everything. The women gave the soldiers their shield and said: come back with it or on it. This implies that you'd either were victorious or had fallen in battle. If you returned without your shield, you were killed. This is taken from the fact that throwing your shield is an act of cowardice before fleeing.
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: Sanman7890
NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KF_MWH wrote:
Here were i live , when you reach the age of 18 you army training for 2 years then you serve as a soldier until you are old enough to not be able to fight.

Umm...where do you live?

I'm going to avoid going to war to the best of my ability, i want nothing of it lest i am forced to in order to protect MY family and friends directly, not in another country.
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryu_Hayabusa wrote:
Spartans where thought (you could say brainwashed) that battle was everything. The women gave the soldiers their shield and said: come back with it or on it. This implies that you'd either were victorious or had fallen in battle. If you returned without your shield, you were killed. This is taken from the fact that throwing your shield is an act of cowardice before fleeing.

Sounds correct to me...

Here's my problem with their train of thought about not coming home or coming home victorious.

At Thermopolyae they did end up retreating when they were flanked and the spartans (those 300 along with about 1000other greek troops who stayed with them) stayed to buy as much time as possible for their comrades retreat. It is a debate among historians as to why they stayed, leonidas *i think that was his name* also stayed for he believed it was his destiney as the oracle at delphie told him it was. Thats why they made that last stand for one.

But you aren't supposed to come back right? On the shield right? Well, that would lead to a similar defeat that the japanese suffered in WW2 for example, with their mentality of bushido *which was perverted to an extreme that the samurai never meant it to be* SO why would they retreat if they truely believed it? I'd imagine that strategic military thinking overcame their sense of honor, except for those who stood till the end
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Spartans returned either victorious or dead. They could have retreated to establish a strongpoint elsewhere. I don't think they returned to Sparta, heck I think that only the Spartans themselves stayed.
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly

The spartan mothers gave their sons the infamous "V" shield before going to war and they told them.

"ή τάν ή επί τάς"

Which means " You take this shield and come back home holding it , or they will bring you dead on it".

Also , spartans mourned for the survivors of war , and cherished on the dead.

Sig made by SS-Asterisk.
Ryu_Hayabusa
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, because dying in battle was the greatest glory they could achieve.
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Greeks would have kicked out asses all over the earth, then we'd use our advanced weaponry to shoot ourselves in the heads as we defended the last city.....Zion

Anyhow, they deserved to win, with that kind of determination for, i don't know, your ENTIRE life how could you not become legend?
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

Gamertag: REmakePRO15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanman wrote:
The Greeks would have kicked out asses all over the earth, then we'd use our advanced weaponry to shoot ourselves in the heads as we defended the last city.....Zion

Anyhow, they deserved to win, with that kind of determination for, i don't know, your ENTIRE life how could you not become legend?

HELL YEAH

The spartans are really insparational they were underdogs they had less soldiers and they still won it was an army of 300 against an army of a million it was like WHOA!!!
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:

HELL YEAH

The spartans are really insparational they were underdogs they had less soldiers and they still won it was an army of 300 against an army of a million it was like WHOA!!!

Wouldn't it be amazing to be alive and get your azz kicked by them!? *dreams*

Technically, only the last stand harbored the 300 spartans by themselves. That was the third day of the battle, before that they did have an army there. They retreated so they would not loose the entire force and the spartans stayed to stall for time. Plus it was foretold Leonidas, their leader, would die there.

And an unknown fact, they actually had about 1000 other soldiers with them at the last stand, but this is usually left out of the story for over the ages people have ignored that number and romanticized the 300, but it doesntn' really matter does it?
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanman wrote:
ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:

HELL YEAH

Technically, only the last stand harbored the 300 spartans by themselves. That was the third day of the battle, before that they did have an army there. They retreated so they would not loose the entire force and the spartans stayed to stall for time. Plus it was foretold Leonidas, their leader, would die there.

And an unknown fact, they actually had about 1000 other soldiers with them at the last stand, but this is usually left out of the story for over the ages people have ignored that number and romanticized the 300, but it doesntn' really matter does it?

well for the war they were supposed to have many other soldiers but they did not arive and there was only the small army of 300 and I don't think it mattered if it is truly real because they went against a million so that would still be really kick ass that they still only made it even with 1000 soldiers.
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:
ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:

HELL YEAH

well for the war they were supposed to have many other soldiers but they did not arive and there was only the small army of 300 and I don't think it mattered if it is truly real because they went against a million so that would still be really kick ass that they still only made it even with 1000 soldiers.

YOU wrote:
HELL YEAH

Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanman wrote:
ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:
ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:

HELL YEAH

YOU wrote:
HELL YEAH

YOU wrote:

Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:
ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:
ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:

HELL YEAH

YOU wrote:
HELL YEAH

YOU wrote:

You wrote:
HELLS YESH

We should probably stop this now <<

rofl
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanman wrote:
ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:
ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:
ICEBREAKER wrote:
sanman wrote:

HELL YEAH

YOU wrote:
HELL YEAH

YOU wrote:

You wrote:
HELLS YESH

We should probably stop this now <<

rofl

I wrote:
NEVER!!!

ok yea stopping would probably be a good idea
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhow, i really do want to see it. Is it a bring a date or bring a buddy movie? AND should i get popcorn or sneak in a drink and candy per usual?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Movies, Music, TV shows, and Anime All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: