ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

XBOX 360 To Play Classic Games as Well

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Videogames General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illmatic
Runaway Ninja
Runaway Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: XBOX 360 To Play Classic Games as Well Reply with quote

Revealed: Xbox Live Arcade Set to Balloon in Coming Months
Massive MAME-like update. Sega involvement “major”.
21st Apr 2006

A bit of juicy gossip for you today as SPOnG's US arm catches some sizzling information on the future of the already excellent Xbox Live Arcade service, currently the download darling of 360 owners around the world. Except in Japan, obviously.

Speaking to us in an "off the record so as not to get sacked" capacity, a Microsoft staffer explained how Xbox Live Arcade is going to swell to a monster of epic size. "XBLA has seen some pretty serious deal-making in this first quarter – it's been a real priority", it was explained to us by a source as close to the project as it's possible to get. "The deal-making has been a no-brainer for everyone we've spoken to and, aside from a few licensing issues with existing products, XBLA is going to smash Nintendo's Virtual Console to pieces. We're going for a major coin-op these[?], so the two offerings are different in that respect."

More? "You've heard of MAME right? Right. We're just doing a legal version of MAME, meaning that all the game owners get paid and the users get quality product based around a community. Imagine the biggest arcade in the world, just 1,000 times bigger. It'll have as many machines as we can possibly get, all with score-rankings and other community stuff. It's not a secret that MAME was massive for hackers of the original Xbox and the pull and sales of retro game packs on current machines is still really high. If this is taken and put under the right noses, it should become the biggest thing in mainstream/hardcore gamer crossover in the industry."

What's more, it looks as though Sega will be offering a major contribution, though frustratingly, we didn't get to the bottom of exactly what will be included in this major revision of Xbox Live Arcade. "Sega games will be included in a major way. It's a surprising addition to the deal and will include games that Nintendo will also be selling. The Nintendo deal is not exclusive."

The Sega involvement we find very interesting because as well as the readily-available 8 and 16-Bit games, the disc-based offers of the Mega CD, Saturn and - dare we hope - Dreamcast could well be rolled out should efficient porting software become available.

"The XBLA stuff [at Microsoft's E3 conference] is going to make up a major part of what they're going to show. The sheer quantity of games in the 'classic' bracket that are going to be shown and the vision of what XBLA will become should be one of the big news stories at this year's E3."

Expect more in the coming days as the E3 information dam hopefully springs a few holes.

Link: http://news.spong.com/article/9913?cb=40

Wow, this really puts a damper on the Revolution's appeal. That's one of the main things it had going for it. While the Rev will exclusive NES/SNES titles, the 360 may have dreamcast games. Dreamcast!

I wasn't intersested in any of the three consoles so far, but this is a great step in the right direction for MS.

Your thoughts?

"I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death."
miniaznguy
Dragon Ninja
Dragon Ninja

Gamertag: Miniaznguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe nintendo shall fall this year, or the next, or the next, or the next, or the next (so on and so forth)
Dragon Ninja
Dragon Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniaznguy wrote:
maybe nintendo shall fall this year, or the next, or the next, or the next, or the next (so on and so forth)

Trust me, nintendo is here, and it's here to stay.
Hayabusa Ninja
Hayabusa Ninja

Gamertag: Dances w Ninjas
NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniaznguy wrote:

Nintendo was the only company to make a profit off of its console during the PS2/GC/Xbox generation and their also making a huge profit off of their handhelds. I doubt that they'll be going any time soon.
Dragon Ninja
Dragon Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually The PS2 made profit as well, it's just that they are a lot smaller than nintendo's.
Runaway Ninja
Runaway Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather play super metroid, OoT and all the great games Nintendo consoles had

I never really liked MAME or SEGA
sabotage
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: Critical sideFX
NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all sounds like good news but what exactly is MAME? I've never heard of it until now.
Runaway Ninja
Runaway Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAME means Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator

it plays old arcade games like pac man, street fighter 2, street fighter alpha 3 online and all old and newer Arcades games....some newer games like street fighter 3 don't work

playing MAME on the computer is a little annoying since you have to set the keys on everygame if you're using a joypad.....not like ZSNES and other consoles emulators

it alos doesn't save your scores....maybe I am wrong on this one

If the 360 can manage to emulate all newer arcade games and Dreamcast games then I would be excited but most arcade games get boring on MAME since you can keep playing until you finish it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Videogames General Board All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: