ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

Counter Attacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Ninja Gaiden / Hurricane Packs / Black
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Transcended
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Counter Attacks Reply with quote

so I was playing NGB, after a long weekend of all night Oblivion and WoW games, and I go back home, and I was trying to do a speed run on normal, and remembered counter-attacks, so I found myself attempting to use Counter-Attacks every chance I get, which has significantly slowed me down, so my question is, will they become second-nature with enough practice, or should I just give up on trying to use them in combat?
Seidon
Runaway Ninja
Runaway Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they become second nature.

You will reach a point where almost every time you get atcked you do a counter automatically.
Transcended
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright then, slow-run or not, I'll keep practicing, thanks, maybe after I get used to counters, I'll do better on VH, still stuck on Chapter 8, I'm sure Ryu, has gotten way further then me by now.
Illmatic
Runaway Ninja
Runaway Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that they are basically worthless in NGB though. At least on Hard+. In NG the counter attack was very effective for defeating any enemy, except for only a few. In NGB, enemies guard break twice as much, and a lot of them have been given unblockable grabs.

"I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death."
Edge AoM
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no, no. Counterattacks are the ****, even on MN.

Let's assume you are 1 on 1 with a black cat fiend. You hate black cat fiends, right? Everybody does... Anyway, you have ample health, but you know that black cats can totally destroy your health in a couple of cat-scratches or such like.

Block the black cats melee attack. You'll take a bit of chip damage, but continue to hold block. Counterattack the second hit (which doesn't guard break) with DS X, --> + Y, XXXX. That cat fiend is dead, guaranteed, in exchange for a chipped amount of energy, whereas you could instead have dodged about and get owned because you aren't fast enough.

Let's take some more practical examples. Shadow Imps. Every attack of theirs breaks your guard? WRONG. Their jumping strike attack can be blocked just fine. If you see a Shadow Imp jump, block, counterattack with X into rapid Izuna (DS), X/Y into X,Y,Y (VF) or just X or Y (any other weapon, preferably UF).

Crab Fiends? Block their weaker melee attack, counterattack with X, 360 + Y (essence) release. Huge damage. Alternatively, X, --> + Y, OL Y (essence).

Counterattacks also make you invulnerable for a short time, especially long animations such as the Lunar.

Finally, counterattacks bring you right out of the "immoblised blocking" frames and straight back on the defensive. Roll-cancelling can also do this, but sometimes you can't roll cancel out of a hit, whereas you can nearly always counterattack.
Superior Ninja
Superior Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, im beggining to learn to appreciate counter attacks, I'm taking far less damage now that I actually counter the enemies I know I can, instead of rolling around, and trying to get the first hit in Very Happy
sanman
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: Sanman7890
NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edge AoM wrote:
No, no, no, no. Counterattacks are the ****, even on MN.

Let's assume you are 1 on 1 with a black cat fiend. You hate black cat fiends, right? Everybody does... Anyway, you have ample health, but you know that black cats can totally destroy your health in a couple of cat-scratches or such like.

Block the black cats melee attack. You'll take a bit of chip damage, but continue to hold block. Counterattack the second hit (which doesn't guard break) with DS X, --> + Y, XXXX. That cat fiend is dead, guaranteed, in exchange for a chipped amount of energy, whereas you could instead have dodged about and get owned because you aren't fast enough.

Let's take some more practical examples. Shadow Imps. Every attack of theirs breaks your guard? WRONG. Their jumping strike attack can be blocked just fine. If you see a Shadow Imp jump, block, counterattack with X into rapid Izuna (DS), X/Y into X,Y,Y (VF) or just X or Y (any other weapon, preferably UF).

Crab Fiends? Block their weaker melee attack, counterattack with X, 360 + Y (essence) release. Huge damage. Alternatively, X, --> + Y, OL Y (essence).

Counterattacks also make you invulnerable for a short time, especially long animations such as the Lunar.

Finally, counterattacks bring you right out of the "immoblised blocking" frames and straight back on the defensive. Roll-cancelling can also do this, but sometimes you can't roll cancel out of a hit, whereas you can nearly always counterattack.

Amen

but i still never think to use them, i'm just really cautious, and MN is too late to start using them without being used to them, so i'll use them in a Hard run afterwards Cry Baby
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

Gamertag: VCaptainCoffeeV

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as you may know i am going through all diffs again and i am experimenting with counter attacks, i got through MN with using a single counter attack, and if there was any they would have been accidental i assure you of that. They are extremely handy although not all too good if going for karma as they are time consuming.

I hate though when you are blocking and ready to counterattack and you get fricking grabbed. Evil
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3ternal_Rapture wrote:
I hate though when you are blocking and ready to counterattack and you get fricking grabbed. Evil

The soldiers are the worst! Well, actually the fiend soldiers, i block for a split second to roll and BAM! They grab me. I hate that so.
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanman wrote:
3ternal_Rapture wrote:

The soldiers are the worst! Well, actually the fiend soldiers, i block for a split second to roll and BAM! They grab me. I hate that so.

Doesn't help that their grab is the most annoying on the whole f!"$%g game.
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3ternal_Rapture wrote:
sanman wrote:
3ternal_Rapture wrote:

Yup, and that their overhead leap attack is overly powerful also.....but compared to others *sliders* they aint so bad.....sliders are border line cheaper if ya ask me...
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanman wrote:
3ternal_Rapture wrote:
sanman wrote:
3ternal_Rapture wrote:

Yup, and that their overhead leap attack is overly powerful also.....but compared to others *sliders* they aint so bad.....sliders are border line cheaper if ya ask me...

Actually the overhead throw was the one i was talking about, and the sliders aren't that cheap all you need to do is roll cancel their annoying sliding attacks. Wink
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3ternal_Rapture wrote:
sanman wrote:
3ternal_Rapture wrote:
sanman wrote:
3ternal_Rapture wrote:

Actually the overhead throw was the one i was talking about, and the sliders aren't that cheap all you need to do is roll cancel their annoying sliding attacks. Wink

I meant their leap in the air---then come down at you attack....anyways, i get bored fighting like that and end up getting pwned after trying a new attack.....like one that doesn't launch or make ryu invincible.....but i deal with it....and the fiend soldiers shoot those fireball! they catch me off guard!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Ninja Gaiden / Hurricane Packs / Black All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: