ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

What are your thoughts on this generation?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Videogames General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninja Of Chaos
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

Location: In your imagination......yup, you are having visions of me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: What are your thoughts on this generation? Reply with quote

To clear confusion this generation includes Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube.

Dreamcast - Well, what can i say, this is my favorite console out there. Its games were not the deepest or the best looking, but it just FEELS great to play in it. Everything feels extremely polished and solid. The system also had more quality games then the other three combined. (Especially if you import) Basically all the games in it, no matter how bad, were fun because of the arcade-like experience they all brought. But it also had games that revolutionized gaming as a whole. (SC, Sword of the Berserk, Shenmue, JGR, etc...)

The console was also extremely easy to develop for so that spawned the second greatest homebrew community of all times. (PC = #1) So basically you have hundreds of free games, ports, and mods for free.

It also innovated in so many ways, while keeping they way games are played true to its rootes. (Something Nintendo was never able to pull off.) VMU, Triggers, Analog stick being the main control, online, and all of the extremely cool peripherals.

This is trully the dream machine.

PS2 - I was extremely surprised as to how much i liked it after hating the PS1. Huge library of games, very well designed controller, and a built-in DVD player. It has some problems with DREs thingies, and is graphics feel kind of unpolished and jaggy. But other then that, great system.

Xbox - During its first two years, the Xbox was trash. And i mean literally trash. I can only think of DOa3, Panzer Dragoon Orta, JSRF and Shenmue 2 as its good titles. Afterwards however, its quality skyrocketed.

Today it holds my favorite game (Ninja Gaiden Black) and many other great titles. Controller is very good for most genres, and the built-in HDD is godsend.

Gamecube - What happened?? Where are my games????? Nintendo royally screwed up this time around. Not only does the system have no special qualifying features, but its games are few and far between. I only keep it for the next Zelda and other Ninty franchises.

Overall, this generation is my favorite. I have been gaming since the 2600 and i have NEVER seen the flood of quality titles that came during the 2nd and 3rd generation of DC games, and in the 2004-2005 space.
Illmatic
Runaway Ninja
Runaway Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the SNES/Genesis generation the best.

I also liked the PS1 for the fact that burning games was as easy as downloading roms, so I didn't really have to invest alot of money into that generation.

I didn't play that many games, or play enough of every system this generation to have a decent opinion, mostly because of how expensive vidoe games have gotten, and how much harder they made it to burn games.

"I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death."
Ookami
Dragon Ninja
Dragon Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have really only had alot of experiance with X-box. But I would agree that Nintendo didn't get it right this time around.

This generation of gaming has been pretty great. Here's hoping that it only gets better Wink.

Ookami wrote:
Congratulations! You failed to make sense!
Ninjilla
Divine Ninja
Divine Ninja

NG - Emblem (Amount: 1) NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well designed PS2 contoller? It is exactly the same as the PS1 controller!
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: Critical sideFX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. X360 is basically doing the same thing with their controllers. Only difference is they removed the Black and White buttons and replaced them with the Shoulder Mounted ones. I played the X360 on display at my local EB. I'll be the first to tell you, the only thing I found SLIGHTLY uncomfortable about it was the Shoulder Mounted buttons. But they're nowhere near as bad as the black and white buttons. Other than that little nitpick, the controller feels perfect.

Anyways:

My thoughts on this console generation.

DC: Underrated. It was so ahead of it's time.

PS2: Love it. So many great games. I can walk into EB and I'm guaranteed to find a PS2 title that'll keep me happy and busy for awhile. It might not be the prettiest in graphics but as long as it can deliver good gameplay I'm willing to look past it's ugly face.

XBOX: Wasn't feeling it at all when it was first released. The only game worth a damn was Halo and I wasn't about to shell out 300 bucks for one game. I didn't actually pick up a XBOX until Ninja Gaiden shipped out.
I quickly picked up all the other games I missed out on such as Splinter Cell, Chronicles of Riddick, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Unreal Championship, Dead or Alive 3, and some other titles I can't remember at this moment. The XBOX has steadily kept throwing out good games over these past 2 years and after I got XBL I found myself sitting in front of my TV for hours straight. XBL is a true monument to console gaming. I have high hopes for XBL on the X360.

GameCube: If it wasn't for the classics I'd probably would of never picked it up. My GC doesn't get much play time, but when I do get a new game and I sit down and play it I have the time of my life. It may not have the quantity of games compared to the XBOX and PS2, but it more than makes up for it with the quality of the games. Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker, RE4, Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2, Super Smash Bros. Melee (A game that was released on LAUNCH DAY and I still play it.), and the soon to be instant classic Zelda: Twilight Princess. These games and a couple more are definately worth owning a GameCube for.

As for my favorite, I really don't know. I'm just glad I have all of them.
Divine Ninja
Divine Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabotage wrote:
Exactly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. X360 is basically doing the same thing with their controllers. Only difference is they removed the Black and White buttons and replaced them with the Shoulder Mounted ones. I played the X360 on display at my local EB. I'll be the first to tell you, the only thing I found SLIGHTLY uncomfortable about it was the Shoulder Mounted buttons. But they're nowhere near as bad as the black and white buttons. Other than that little nitpick, the controller feels perfect.

They have display ones? What games?

Last edited by Ninjilla on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Inverted.TwiZtah
Dragon Ninja
Dragon Ninja

Gamertag: Trauma| SWE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thought about this generation

DC: i borrowed one and i absolutely LOVED it at THAT time, good games good graphs.

ps2: one of the lousiest consoles ever made. i mean technically it SUX my grand mother can make a better console,the controller really sux too its far too little ( it may fit in a 4 year old hand ), and MEMORY CARDS, you have too pay 30$ for a memory card and you can sore 2 games in it.

xbox: best console ever made ( totally owned ps2 )i mean it has sometimes better techs than a computer and the controller is absolutely fabolus, fits perfect in the hand and good button layout, good games too like ninja gaiden halo DOA conker more and more.

GC: ok this is almost worser than ps2, child games like there are like 3 games on this console that has blood in it, the controller is too little and the tech is not that good.
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja

Gamertag: Critical sideFX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the fanboy rants were bound to happen sooner or later.
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

Location: In your imagination......yup, you are having visions of me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZaNN01 wrote:
my thought about this generation

DC: i borrowed one and i absolutely LOVED it at THAT time, good games good graphs.

ps2: one of the lousiest consoles ever made. i mean technically it SUX my grand mother can make a better console,the controller really sux too its far too little ( it may fit in a 4 year old hand ), and MEMORY CARDS, you have too pay 30$ for a memory card and you can sore 2 games in it.

xbox: best console ever made ( totally owned ps2 )i mean it has sometimes better techs than a computer and the controller is absolutely fabolus, fits perfect in the hand and good button layout, good games too like ninja gaiden halo DOA conker more and more.

GC: ok this is almost worser than ps2, child games like there are like 3 games on this console that has blood in it, the controller is too little and the tech is not that good.

So why isn't your grand mother in the console business?

Sorry, but the quantity of good games is almost double that of the Xbox. and it also has much more support behind it from its fanbase AND 3rd party developers.

I personally see no way you can tell me the PS2 "sux".
Dances w Ninjas
Hayabusa Ninja
Hayabusa Ninja

Gamertag: Dances w Ninjas
NGB - Master (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabotage wrote:

The D-Pad is too loose IMO. Other than that, you're right, the controller does feel perfect.
Greater Ninja
Greater Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabotage wrote:
Well, the fanboy rants were bound to happen sooner or later.

Xbox totally perverted the true meaning of video games.
StrongSiLeNcE
Runaway Ninja
Runaway Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked every system but gamecube and only problem with xbox controller was the D-Pad.

p.s. The xbox never owned the ps2 in any way(look at sales,specs,and quality games) must have been a joke. Laughing
Dragon Ninja
Dragon Ninja

Gamertag: blitzkrieg047

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC was O.K., not the greatest, but better than ps1. i got it for christmas like in 2000 when i wanted a N64 for xmas XD. overall is was good, sonic was my favorite. and shenmue 1, way back when i was really dumb i had a fun time with that, took me a while though. f*ckin long game.

ps2, never played it.

xbox, fav of all time. got it 2 years ago so i never really saw the downside to the the X. but i was kinda pissed when i bought xbox that you had to PAY for online gaming. then i found out recently that ps2 was FREE...

gc, graphics were good. good games, ssbm and sonic. super mario sunshine was ok... feels kinda weird when ur having fun cleaning up some sh!t.
Edge AoM
Head Ninja
Head Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamcast was a great console that was hampered by the "Stolar factor". For those of you who are not mourning Sega fanboys like myself, this refers to Bernie Stolar, the man at Sega of America who proclaimed to all that Sega's future was....the 32X (or Mega 32). The Saturn got **** all support from him, which lead to the Saturn being buried, the PSX getting a huge market share and when the Dreamcast eventually came out, everyone was talking about PS2. It was really, really shocking to see. Of course, it doesn't help that, on "The Generation Game" (a UK game show), the Dreamcast prize was described as a Playstation.

Urgh...

Gamecube is a good console for playing back-catalogues: Megaman, Sonic, Skies of Arcadia... The D-pad is woeful, however, and 3D fighters are almost impossible to play on it. The main complaint I have about GC games is that they seem to lack the adrenaline of most action titles, this being largely due to the frequent omission of any violence or non-kiddie-friendly content from Nintendo's games.

That is the main reason that I bought an Xbox. Originally, I was going to buy an Xbox first, but my mates got GCs so I figured I should practice the games I could kick their butts at. When I got an Xbox, I immediately bought a load of second-hand games...my Xbox game collection was larger than my GC collection after 1 week. Ninja Gaiden took over my life the day I bought the Xbox, and Black's still doing it today. Halo 1's finale gave me one of the largest rushes of my life. JSRF made me appreciate music more. There's still a fair few games I want to buy, however.

Finally, the PS2. I loathe the PS2 on principle, but God of War rocks, and Final Fantasy looks amazing. The total backward compatibility is good too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inverted.TwiZtah
Dragon Ninja
Dragon Ninja

Gamertag: Trauma| SWE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i can explain some techs for all you there who says PS2 OWNS.

ok like the HDD,772 mb processor ( ps2 only has 123, gc has 223 ) you read everything about it and compare them at xbox.com ( xbox IS 7 times stronger than ps2 on most of the catagories.

gameplay you talk about, well FPS cant be played cause the controller sucks on those, the only game it is gooa at is FIFA. and its no very sensetive when you have to break your friggin thumb to press X. those analog sticks is very loose and can be drawn out by my 4 year old sister ( new ps2 controller ). and ps2 has those friggin bad memeory cards as i said before they are only trying to milk your money out of you pocket. GC is the same as sabotage said it really has no funny game except some few.like super mario sunshine WTF are we gonna spray some water on a flower now. its not even fun to spray water on a flower for gods sake.

and now i must say it XBOX RULEZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ninja Fortress Forum Index -> Videogames General Board All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: